Frozen Bolt: Oil Filter housing.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D82

Reaction score
What are the tricks of the trade to loosen the bolt on the oil filter housing? Mine is frozen. The bolt is not stripped; the wrench holds tightly. I'm thinking of using a pipe extension on the end of the wrentch. Suggestions?

I often tighten a small amount first. I find it helps to free the bolt, any movement is good. That said if the bolt is that tight it sounds like it is cross threaded and will probably break or strip the threads :(

When I run into one of those, sometimes a slight attempt at tightening the bolt will break the corrosion,however not to much pressure because you sure don't want to break anything. If that doesn't work you can try an impact wrench, air or electric to break it loose. I just used one on a frozen crankshaft bolt and it took the bolt right off, no problem. The hammering of the impact works great at breaking it loose.

The oil filter bolt is normally hard to brake lose, the threads are actually larger than the bolt head. One thing that might help is to start the engine and let it get good and warm before trying to brake the bolt lose. Once lose make sure there is a drain pan under it and if you have warmed up the engine that oil is going to be hot, so be careful. What I normally do is brake is lose, let the oil drain for a while and then remove it. Be sure to replace both O rings.

Latest posts