fuel injection swap to carbs

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmc10

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has gone from fuel injection to carbs. I have 1985 gl1200l that I'm thinking about going to a single conversion or carbs. The Problem I am wondering about is the gl1200l motor has GR/GL sensor on head and a ns sensor on front of motor. If any one has any input on this swap would like to hear from you.

hmmmmm well the single set up will be somewhat ok ....it seems a matter of ignition as biggest deal ...ive never worked on one before but it just cant be to difficult to do .....not sure if even heads are the same as carb heads on 1200s with there plumbing set up ...maybe srteve 83 see this and post im sure he can say something hes worked with the FI 1200 a lot

If you're going to a carb setup, you can ignore the Gr/Gl sensors. I think the carbureted 1200's used 2 pickups on the crank, the FI uses 1 but has mounts for 2. The best thing to do would be to get a C5 ignition setup and ignore all the sensors!

You can use the air valve plumbing on the water pump cover and the thermostat housing for plenum heat on a single carb setup, or plug them if you're going with stock carbs. I believe the block and heads are otherwise identical to carbureted engines. You will need to change the fuel pump - the FI unit puts out way too much pressure for a carb. If I think of anything else, I'll post it.

Have fun with it, hopefully it'll have a positive outcome! :popcorn:

I wish I could help with the wiring...I only had the engine and computer harness, and I'm not sure how much of it ties into the bike's wiring system, trip computer, cruise control, etc... I would try leaving everything electrical in place, except for the injector harness. I believe the LTD ignition timing curve is based on many of the sensor inputs...air & coolant temps, manifold vacuum, RPM and throttle position. If you use the Aspy wiring, you'll probably lose cruise control and trip computer functions...hard to say what will and will not work. Sounds like a fun project!

Are you having issues with the FI system? It's awesome when it's working properly!

yes The bike run ok except when you try to takeoff on a hill. I have changed wiring harness, fuel injection,cdi,filter,fuel pump. The fuel pressure is 38 psi without engine running 34psi running. This bike has 37,000 miles on it I did a compression test on it cold all four cyclinders were around 130 psi. I sprayed wd-40 on top of cyclinder and it stayed about same psi. I also checked timing advance and it seemed to work ok. I put new belts on it so I know timing is right. I have also put another set of coils, plugs and wires on bike. I have about 3 sensors that I haven't checked, but I will check them this week. Its not often that something get the best of me but this bike is nearly there.

Fuel pressure seems low for injection. I don't know what it's supposed to be but 60psi is the lowest I've seen for fuel injected motor. That might be the problem.

34-38 PSI is the specified fuel pressure for these, so you're good there. The cylinder compression should be around 185 PSI, warm and open throttle...you say yours is 130...converting to carbs won't fix that! If it hasn't run for a while, the hydraulic valve adjusters might be collapsed, preventing the valves from fully opening, and lowering the compression readings. Do you get any codes on the computer LED's? If you don't have one, there's a manual supplement in the Gallery for the LTD.

No I don't get any codes. I took plugs out and poured trans fluid on top pistons thought I would let sit for couple days I thought possible rings stuck. I rode bike about 200 miles and it run good except in first gear when I start up driveway, it pulls it at about 5 miles per hour wide open.

Sounds like the trouble may be connected somehow to neutral safety switch. Isn't this the model that know which gear is selected?

Not sure about neutral safety switch but I will look into that, And it sure is a nightmare. With all the help and support from this forum I'm thinking I might get this fuel injection mess figured out. I have another project for today but will be back on this tomorrow. Thank again for all help.

I wanted to update this subject on fuel injection incase someone else has a problem with their ltd stalling on a hill. I was so discussed at fuel injection that I was going to change it to carb. Over the weekend I was testing some sensors and found the throotle control sensor wasn't within specs. I drilled out the two breakaway bolts and twisted throotle control sensor about quarter inch. Bike runs like different bike , no stalling on hill. thanks everyone for input and for listening to problem.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=161523#p161523:hlqkslxx said:
dan filipi » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:34 am[/url]":hlqkslxx]
Good you got it working.

I wonder why a non adjustable sensor needed adjustment.
Worn spot on the rheostat...

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=161521#p161521:fb3lk9nd said:
rmc10 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:02 am[/url]":fb3lk9nd]
I wanted to update this subject on fuel injection incase someone else has a problem with their ltd stalling on a hill. I was so discussed at fuel injection that I was going to change it to carb. Over the weekend I was testing some sensors and found the throotle control sensor wasn't within specs. I drilled out the two breakaway bolts and twisted throotle control sensor about quarter inch. Bike runs like different bike , no stalling on hill. thanks everyone for input and for listening to problem.
:clapping: :good: :salute:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=161524#p161524:38113n4a said:
Ansimp » 17 minutes ago[/url]":38113n4a]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=161523#p161523:38113n4a said:
dan filipi » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:34 am[/url]":38113n4a]
Good you got it working.

I wonder why a non adjustable sensor needed adjustment.
Worn spot on the rheostat...
Yes, makes me wonder what else might be affected by changing that position.
Maybe run richer.

Latest posts