Fuel Pump

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K7TKA

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a suspicion my fuel pump may be going south. Will these bikes run on gravity with a full tank? Mine seems to get bad when the fuel starts getting low. I will lose one or two cylinders. After refueling it seems to run fine. At first I thought it might be a coil problem but it seems to clear up and run fine when the engine is warm. I would think coil failure would occur when hot rather than cold. This could also be a carb problem but it seems to run fine without any problems when the miss goes away. After much thinking about it I came up with the fuel pump Idea. Any suggestions?

Are you sure your pick-up tube inside the tank doesn't have a small hole in it somewhere? Have you tried turning the petcock to reserve when it starts acting up? If it still acts up on reserve, it may be the pump....if not, there may be a problem with the main tube. :good:

I would clean out your pump. I don't know if you used a prefilter after cleaning your tank but you may just have leftovers effecting the check valves in the pump.

Remove the screws and lift the cover off the pump. You can inspect the valves and diaphragm without removing the pump, or even disconnecting the fuel lines. Crank the engine to see if the diaphragm moves up and down.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=116251#p116251:1j1oaf4t said:
Steve83 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:44 am[/url]":1j1oaf4t]
Remove the screws and lift the cover off the pump. You can inspect the valves and diaphragm without removing the pump, or even disconnecting the fuel lines. Crank the engine to see if the diaphragm moves up and down.

Just don't have a full tank of fuel with a leaky fuel tap or one that is not turned off :head bang:

Thanks guys for all the responses. I picked up a used pump today from my local bike wrecker and changed it out. The bike started and ran well for a short test ride. I'll know more when the tank gets low. In the meantime thanks for all the help.

Tim

Well after running a full tank I got a sputter, switched to reserve and away it went for another 12 miles. I had to break out the lawnmower gas to get to the gas station. I think changing the pump fixed the issue. Now I have to take the pump off and seal it better as it is dripping a bit of oil. Thanks again for all the help.

Latest posts