gas gage?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwbill37841

Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok i haven't got to get the tank off yet but i did take out the sendind unit and float. now the float arm well go up and down but it is really rusty. is there any where to find a nother in just in case?
or is there one that can be subed ? it's the little things that can be the most headaches. :Awe:

those things are made out of rust for sure metal ...they all look like that ...id clean it and not worry about it....put it in vineger and let it sit a good long while it will come clean eventualy

You can clean it. Either soak it in vinegar or use the electrolysis method. When I took mine out it wouldn't even move. I did the electrolysis thing and it cleaned up real nice. Once the rust was off, I took off the case to clean inside, but be careful not to damage the small winding wire going to the connector.

I can't really attest to the vinegar. I soaked my fuel cap in it and with a little brushing here and there it worked great. I had two fuel guages with one being a little rustier than the other. I soaked the worst one in vinegar for several days with some luck, but not to my satisfaction. I used electrolysis on the other one with fantastic results.

My fuel tank I used electrolysis. I actually tried toilet bowl cleaner first, but realized real quick that I did not have the patience. The electrolysis method again, worked great. There were a few spots that didn't seem to come clean, so I reached in with a screwdriver to scrape the areas and it just fell off. So I used a powerwasher to clean those spots and the entire inside. I mounted a hair dryer to take care of the remaining moisture and then sprayed in some lubricant to keep it from rusting.

mwbill37841":2dizrh8k said:
ok now i will show my burnt briancells. what is the electrolysis and how do you do it? :oops: :headscratch: damn I miss the 60's.......agian :smilie_happy:

Let Google be your friend. Google "electrolysis rust removal" and you'll get all kinds of hits. Not the 60's kind of hits..... Just sayin... :smilie_happy:

Mark

Mark is right, read up on it. I mixed baking soda about a 1/3 to half a cup with water and mixed it in a bucket. I had a plastic plug, like a lid that I shoved into the fuel sender hole. A small funnel would work. I set the tank upright and poured in the solution, or "electrolyte" and filled it to the top with water. The plug was shoved in tight enough to somewhat seal the fuel sender hole. I had a 1/2" steel rod or "anode" that I shoved though a hole in the plastic plug making sure it did not contact the metal tank. I used my battery charger for power and hooked the positive clamp to the "anode" and the negative clamp to the tank making sure it had good connection. Make sure you make your hookups before you apply power so you don't create a spark. Also, make sure you have good ventilation.

On my first go around, I installed a #9 wire through the filler hole and ran the length of the tank. When I pulled it out, it was nearly ate down to a thread. I did read that through the process, the rust is more or less traded out for the metal on the anode or something like that. I'm kinda talkin out my other end on that. :shock:

If it would help, I could set it up on another tank I have a get a picture.

captaindan":74bswaq8 said:
Mark is right, read up on it. I mixed baking soda about a 1/3 to half a cup with water and mixed it in a bucket. I had a plastic plug, like a lid that I shoved into the fuel sender hole. A small funnel would work. I set the tank upright and poured in the solution, or "electrolyte" and filled it to the top with water. The plug was shoved in tight enough to somewhat seal the fuel sender hole. I had a 1/2" steel rod or "anode" that I shoved though a hole in the plastic plug making sure it did not contact the metal tank. I used my battery charger for power and hooked the positive clamp to the "anode" and the negative clamp to the tank making sure it had good connection. Make sure you make your hookups before you apply power so you don't create a spark. Also, make sure you have good ventilation.

On my first go around, I installed a #9 wire through the filler hole and ran the length of the tank. When I pulled it out, it was nearly ate down to a thread. I did read that through the process, the rust is more or less traded out for the metal on the anode or something like that. I'm kinda talkin out my other end on that. :shock:

If it would help, I could set it up on another tank I have a get a picture.

Would like to see it set up.

Doesn't look horribly difficult. I liked the guy's idea that uses an aerosol cap to center your sacrificial steel rod and keep it from touching the sides of the tank.

Good stuff, there. Good luck, but I think you can handle it pretty easily.

Mark

Here's what I have. If I remember right, I googled rust removal from fuel tank or something like that. One of the hits was for a GW forum, in which had a link to a electrolysis sight.
electrolysis.JPG

electrolysis (1).JPG

What I did with mine that was rusted was, I got a small plastic bucket some gasoline a face mask [bandana] and some sand paper, sanded the rust off clean with the sand paper and washed it up good with gas, I remember it being pretty smooth when I was done, it sure did look better...works great to date..

it a good idea to have a battery hooked up to the electros and then the battery charger to the battery ...and its beast to use arm and hammer laundry soap not baking soda ....ive also heard that you can use salt water as the solution ....

Latest posts