Gas tank sender

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scdmarx

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1982 Standard
My gas gauge never worked since I've had the bike. While I have it tore down some, I decided to take a look. I checked the ground wire at the sender by means of a voltage drop test and it showed 0v. Then I unplugged the other wire and touched it to a known good ground and the gauge started to move. As I held it there it slowly moved all the way up to the full mark. Removed it from the ground, and the gauge moved back to the empty mark. Just for kicks, I jumped the two wires together and the gauge moved slowly back up to the full mark. So I plugged the wires back onto the sender and got nothing. Dead as a door nail. Then I removed the sender from the tank and it was corroded - oxidized pretty bad. With the sender plugged in, I tried moving the float arm up and down, but it was no good. The gauge didn't move any at all. The wife wasn't home, and I know where she keeps the vinegar. I don't know what she uses it for, but I know there is usually some around. I found a whole gallon of vinegar in the washer room. I only needed a coffee cup full. I use vinegar sometimes as a cleaner for electrical parts. So I dipped the sender upside down in the coffee cup of vinegar to soak for a few minutes, occasionally swirling it around. When I took it out I gave it a quick shot of brake cleaner to help it dry faster. Then I plugged it back in and moved the float arm again and the gauge started working. But it only seems to want to go up to the 3/4 tank mark. Just can't seem to get it to move that last 1/4 to the full mark. So now I have questions. Should I leave well enough alone and learn to use it like that? Are these still available? Or has anyone found something universal that can be easily converted? Play my money and take my chances on ebay? Other suggestions? :?: :idea: :beg:

I haven't seen any sending units new, but I have never really looked, but I've seen them used on ebay and they aren't cheap, usually between $100 and $200. As for leaving "well enough alone" I don't know about you but my OCD would kick into overdrive if my fuel gauge only went to 3/4. ;)

Hey SCD... does this have a arm and wiper system for the unit??? or is it all in the head??? i would bet the arm and wiper where ever it is is slightly corroded still.. does the sender look like it can be removed and then reattached??? reason I am asking is my brother bought a replacement for a 62 t bird that would read up to 1/2 tank and no higher.. and when full it would show 1/4 then as gas went down it would drop out and then pick up at 1/2 and read fine to nearly empty.. I took it and massaged them back together.. if there is corrosion on the wiper it may keepthe unit from reading full..

If you can get to it try spraying the rheostat with some battery terminal cleaner, let it set for a few minutes and then flush with electronic contact cleaner, That's how I clean the electrical plugs on bikes and they come out like new with little or no scrubbing.

Believe it or not, the 1100 sender units are adjustable. You still might get it to go to the full mark. The top end has a metal shield that protects the coil, it comes off and then you should see a small adjustment screw. This is from memory of over a year ago when i adjusted mine. Clean it again with some CLR from Walmart.

Bagmaster":3nip2hey said:
Believe it or not, the 1100 sender units are adjustable. You still might get it to go to the full mark. The top end has a metal shield that protects the coil, it comes off and then you should see a small adjustment screw. This is from memory of over a year ago when i adjusted mine. Clean it again with some CLR from Walmart.

Thanks! I do remember seeing the screw, but afraid to mess with it. Now that I know what it's for, I feel a bit braver.

Ford, GM, and Chrysler have TSB's concerning erratic or inaccurate fuel gauges, that say to pour their additive products into the tank. Best info I can gather is that Ford & GM's is an industrial strength Techron. Not the same dosage you get off the shelf at the gas station. Chrysler is a rebadged Winns product.

Skuttle butt is that it works. I'm tempted to try it. But I'm concerned that my problem may not be from the crappy gas these days, as much as sitting in storage for years.

Techron will definitely clean the deposits off of the the resistor, IF they are fuel related deposits. If what you have is rust, or corrosion, Techron may not help. It may take a couple or more tankfulls to see any improvements. Contact cleaner sprayed directly on it would work just as well.

AApple":2miszsjf said:
Techron will definitely clean the deposits off of the the resistor, IF they are fuel related deposits. If what you have is rust, or corrosion, Techron may not help. It may take a couple or more tankfulls to see any improvements. Contact cleaner sprayed directly on it would work just as well.
That's what I meant. Musta lost something in the translation. :smilie_happy:

I have further learned more specifically that the Techron is aimed toward sulfer deposits causing erratic or inaccurate gauge readings. It would be worth a try before pulling a 20 gallon tank out of a minivan to replace the sender. But since my GW sender is located right under the seat, I think Ill pull it out and try to clean it. Besides, now I know I have an adjustment to play with if cleaning don't resolve the problem completely. That's worth checking out too.

go to randakks tech tips list and go down to fuel sender issues and do just what it says and Ill bet your sender will work just fine Mine did.good luck Mike

Latest posts