Gaskets!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slabghost

Reaction score
I've been reading a lot of posts lately about gasket availability and high cost. I did a search here and found no thread explaining the making of gaskets. So I've searched the web for a few links.
https://www.ehow.com/how_4867983_make-own-gaskets.html

Gasket Making

One:purchase sheet stock gasket material of the same type as the original gasket being replaced. Cut a piece of gasket about 1-2 inches larger than the dimensions of the surface for which the gasket is to be placed once manufactured. Examine each half of the two surfaces to be gasketed, select the half that has the deepest inner cavity as a template /tool for making your gasket. Now while firmly holding your gasket material against the selected surface , use a small metallic tool to carefully tap around the edges of the object to be gasketed. Your will find that with care you will outline the part (template) and the gasket material will be cleanly cut. Continuing to hold the gasket in place, tap at the interior surfaces of the part, again the gasket should outline the inner edge. If your are successful a completed replacement gasket will be your reward.

Two: Again purchase a proper sized piece of gasket material as well as a stamp pad inking stick. Using the stamp pad stick quickly ink all of the surfaces of the part to be gasketed. Once ink has been applied, place that surface onto the gasket material, taking care to not smear your impression.Chalk may also be used. Remove the part and you will have a gasket positive that can be cut out with a craft knife or razor blade.

https://www.crustyquinns.com/tech/myogasket.html

I hope this helps relieve some stress and expense. Feel free to add your favorite methods and materials.

Great post slabghost :Egyptian: I can't count the number of times I have had to make my own gasket over the years....I had to learned the techneque the hard way...I grew up with no mentors so I had to go to the books :read: :rtfm: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: I still have gasket material in the garage...just made one for the thermostat housing on the dodge. :thanks:

"Sometimes"... it's easier to glue the gasket material to the part than to try to hold it in place while tapping the edges.

Use various size tubings and a hammer to punch perfectly round bolt holes in the gasket material. Or a paper hole puncher if you can.

:builder:

scdmarx":3e8s80an said:
"Sometimes"... it's easier to glue the gasket material to the part than to try to hold it in place while tapping the edges.

Use various size tubings and a hammer to punch perfectly round bolt holes in the gasket material. Or a paper hole puncher if you can.

:builder:
If the gasket material is already glued on as you suggest the easiest way to cut the bolt holes is cut an x to relive stress. Then push on a ball bearing a bit bigger than the bolt hole and tap it a time or two. Cuts a perfect hole.

A leather punch works well, too. I've cut more than my share of gaskets with a small ball-peen hammer. :builder: You can buy rolls of gasket material in different thicknesses and compounds at most auto parts houses, and it's not very expensive at all. A roll will prolly last a lifetime. :eek:k:

the trouble with it lasting a lifetime is it takes that long to find out where you put it for safe keeping :head bang: and by then you have bought some more... I know I have several roles around but I don't find it untill I have replaced it with a new one......Thank god I am organized :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

I always put stuff where I can find it easily next time I need it. Now if I could just remember where that is! :Doh2: :sensored: :head bang:

Latest posts