General Mechanical Question about motorcycle transmission

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simbaboy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I have posted other threads about my shifting difficulties and difficulty in getting into neutral.

When I have my bike on the centerstand finding and getting into neutral and shifting between gears is easy like cutting into butter with a hot knife.

Can you please explain to me what is different about running the bike on the road versus spinning the rear wheel on the centerstand at very high RPMs?

Thanks All,
Simba

chasrogers":c13dab95 said:
yep what vince said is right and the problem is a misadjusted clutch cable just a bit to tight or a touch to loose about one to two turns of the cable adjuster if that does not do it the cable might be streached. :headscratch: :headscratch: :headscratch: :rtfm:

thanks,
If the clutch plates were the problem, would this not persist even with bike running on the centerstand?
The fact I have no problems in shifting or getting into neutral while the bike is is no load situation help to pinpoint the problem in one direction or another?
My clutch cable is new-- I do need to play more with adjusting it correctly.
thanks
Simba

The difference is there is no load on the gears while on the centerstand.

Normally pulling in the clutch while riding removes rotational pressure against the gear teeth allowing the gears to move into and out of place to shift.

on the best day the wing will ever have the trans are clunky and have narrow sweetspots ...but overall its easy to get used to ...and the complete wing packaged more than makes up for it

Thanks everybody,
Can't wait till next riding season ---earliest here is late March early April.
Till then just read about other peoples restorations.
Anybody willing to work on mine for a fair price? I have limited skills and time and i have to admit it: I am also somewhat lazy.
Simba

Attachments

• cropped3photo.JPG
    cropped3photo.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 193
I am thinking about this.
Would anybody either work on mine for a price or trading theirs for mine and I would pay $$ for a trade.
(My local mechanic is not as enthusiastic about working on old bikes----He is a racer himself and loves to work on racing bikes. Also, the shop owner always assumes the worst and his solutions are always the most expensive).
I will start a new thread and describe my bike if you guys think that is okay.
Thanks,
Simba

simbaboy":3p43va5w said:
Thanks everybody,
Can't wait till next riding season ---earliest here is late March early April.
Till then just read about other peoples restorations.
Anybody willing to work on mine for a fair price? I have limited skills and time and i have to admit it: I am also somewhat lazy.
Simba
depending on where you are in mich, iwould be happy to help you out. i'm in muskegon, (on the west coast) i'll be working on my own anyway. more the merrier

i wouldn't mind having a good one here in waco, texas. went to my honda dealer and the were working on a 1100 wing i asked if they would work on my 75 and said they wouldn't because it is so old and yet they were working on the 1100 which was "theres". also said couldn't get parts i say bullhockey u sure can get them. anyway still working on mine waiting for a warmer day to check timing.

Thanks All
Today it warmed up to 38 degrees-----perfect riding temp!
Went for about 15 miles before almost freezing to death.
I love my GL1100---smooth and easy. I made a uturn on a narrow rode without any problems. I could have taken my licensing test with this bike without any problems. I told my wife who rides a virago 250cc that the GL is an easier ride once you get used to the weight.
If I start upshifting a little sooner than I like, then no problems. I guess I gotta treat it for what it is----its not a race bike. When the speedo was working I could easily get to 85MPH and feel like I was going much less. Now its too cold to go too fast, but I have been it doing for short bursts. I love this bike.

Issues with the bike:
1. Rear suspension boots are torn--can I just take them off without creating more problems?
2. Left rear suspension has a small leak---I think a new seal is in order.
3. Speedo cable needs to be replaced--- If you remember, I had a squeeky noise initially. Then the noise went away and soon after the speedo stopped working. I will order a new cable.
4. The front brake fluid reservoir is all oxidized. When my mechanic tried to take it off, he stripped one of the screws and got all scared. He decided not to mess with the front brakes because they were working well. He did replace the rear brake pads.
5. The headlight has a loose connection---it goes off until I jiggle the wires at random. The light then comes on only to turn off intermittently. I took the headlight off just to see what I was dealing with----The number of wires and some that have just been cut off by PO scared me into just putting it back together.
6. With your help I was able to install some cheap rear turn signals that are working well.

I am serious about about one of you who is enthusiastic about wrenching and lives within a few hours drive and would be able to work for a fair price on my bike please let me know.

Cyborg: please email me at and lets start 'talking' Muskegon is not too far away.

Thanks everybody,
Simba

joedrum":31gx022f said:
thats fine ....to bad your so far away from me id help if i could ....im rather far away in southern indiana

Thanks for your offer.
You all are the best and have already helped me a lot. I remember my first post here.
I had just bought my bike---You all gave me the confidence to replace the battery and voila I was riding my bike that same day.
Simba

dan filipi":3ikjlaz3 said:
I read once a guy cut up an inner tube to use as shock boots. Zip tied the ends.
Sounds like it would work.

thanks Dan
I think I could probably use glue to put the edges together. Anybody see a downside? How about just taking them off completely? Live them 'nakkid'??? Just like my bike.
Thanks
Simba

joedrum":x6mklyu0 said:
thats fine ....to bad your so far away from me id help if i could ....im rather far away in southern indiana
I had thoughts of moving next door to you a couple of times too often Joe,not that close of course,lets say the dog house :shock: .If it wasn't for my wife(she's more of a city bug).But I'm still waiting on what type of heating elements will be on that Barn :smilie_happy: :mrgreen:

Latest posts