GL 1000 restore

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flash2002

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I started to work on my GL 1979, took it all apart. I started to work on the motor, first I sand blasted with glass powder and the motor came out like new. I took the heads off to resurface the valves and change the valve seals. The thing that bugs me a bit is, this bike, from what the speedometer says, (10,400 KLM) looks like it has more mileage than what it says, but it could be that the old owner drove like an old lady,( lots of carbon ). Look at the pictures, see what you think.

Attachments

• 100_1341.jpg
    100_1341.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 426
  • 100_1339.jpg
    100_1339.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 414
Carbon buildup looks light if anything.
Got a shot of the piston heads before cleaning?
How thick the carbon ring is is a good judge also but it all doesn't really mean anything. What's important is what you end up with.

that aint bad ...i wouldnt give that a second thought....its actualy has good signs of looking the same ....if the other head looks like that your good id say ...looks like the cylinders and heads were doing fine ...and yes a lot of wings look like grandma rode them ...thats mostly do to weak spark down low in rpm that oldwings suffer from now being 30yrs old or older ...the ignitions were engineered rathe dumb with all the switches and connector in the path of the spark plugs

Actually, the head looks pretty good and YES it looks like Granny was riding it and staying under 2500 RPM all the time! A good 3 hour highway trip running at 4500-5000 RPM would have cleaned that right out.

I see soot on the heads.....you can prolly rub that off with a toothbrush! :mrgreen: Looks fine to me, too.
Engine sure looks clean, too, on the outside...nice job! :clapping:

I did a bit of work, cleaned up the heads, picture before and after, they came out pretty good. Took a look at the cylinders, they still have the polishing marks from the company and the pistons are nice and tight. I think this motor is still in new shape.

Attachments

• 100_1345.jpg
    100_1345.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 392
  • 100_1344.jpg
    100_1344.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 388
  • 100_1339.jpg
    100_1339.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 394
:clapping: Good job!
It would be a good idea to run a large mill file across the combustion chamber side of the heads, to try to make sure they are as flat as possible...if you haven't already done thunk of that.
Those heads look great. I just recently did mine. I ran them thru our parts washer here at work( kinda like a huge dishwasher with 190* cleaning solution). They came out clean, but not near as nice as yours. :good:

All the parts that have to be flat for the gasket to fit are sanded. I saw this on You-Tube, the guy glued sand paper ( fine ) to glass. So I got a glass top that I had 1/2'' 30''x30'' and glued sand paper to it. It works great, the parts I did so far came out nice and clean and flat.

Just wondering :headscratch: since I got the motor apart, is it worth changing the stator with 10,000KLM on it or just test it to make sure it's good. They have them on E-Bay, I see they got heavy duty ones, are they any better then the one I have or are there some better than others?

Stator is kind of a toss up. Could be good for many more years or go bad in a week. Electric stuff is all like that. In your shoes I'd be very tempted to install a new HD stator and keep the old as a spare.

I took my gas tank apart to clean the inside and notice the fuel level sensor is a big piece of rust. I saw one for sale but it's for a GL1200 they look the same, will this fit on a GL1000 ?

Latest posts