GL 1100 water pump bearings check

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skw1972

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just got this pump from dccycles off ebay, it was a used metal impeller, advertised as "no play in bearings" while thats technically true, the bearings do not roll smooth, are they supposed to? If I need to rebuild it its not that big of a deal I guess.
I just wanted to check in with you guys on the matter.
It rools around fine doesnt seem to "catch" per say but I figured it should be a smooth roll

borderline is my middle name. with the pump plus shipping im in for 55.00, if I add a rebuild to it im at 90.00 or so. B etter safe than sorry. Its still cheaper than a new pump. Thanks for the input bro

Well as the pump seal ages it does get easier to turn it. They never spin like the belt tensioner pulleys do.
What your most likely feeling is the pump shaft friction against the mechanical seal.
The seal relies on the water/coolant for lubrication.
It could be the seal is pretty dry from being out of water so I suppose a shot of light machine oil on the shaft might be ok but I would say you got a good pump.

cool! ill try that now. I figured I didnt get stuck as even if I did rebuild this one it was still cheaper. Gotta get back on this restore. I got side tracked for for a few months but its in the dining room now, yes in the house, so I can finish it. my daily rat is living under a tarp in the drive way at night and the v45 is living in the shed next to the nighthawk. This wing is gonna be my doctoral thesis of custom rebuilds! Thanks guys

Yeah...the pump should turn easily, but it will have some resistance from the ceramic seal. It will not just spin free, if that is what you were thinking. The ceramic/"mechanical" seal is spring loaded, so it does apply pressure on the seal surfaces, so you get some resistance when turning. As long as it turns with no hard spots, and you feel no wiggle in the bearings, it's prolly ok. Take a good look at the rear bearing, and the rubber seal on it. If the rubber is wrinkly, or swelled....that ain't good. If it is nice and smooth, it's golden.

lol..no. It was resistance I was feeling, dry resistance actually, against the mechanical seal, took the advice drop some light machine oil in and still was tight but moved much smoother. I was expecting it to roll free and smooth like a wheel bearing.