gl 1200 clutch

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys for the info,,,,mines workig fine at 34000k i was just curious about what to expect with it. Sounds like it may even out last me ill probably put less than 5k a year on it. I just do bike shows and rides of less than 200 miles with it. I dont have to much time or money to do to much traveling

Only important for the clutch is to use the right motor-oil.

The clutch doesnt want synthetic oil, only mineral. If you fill synthetic oil the clutch will glue and you cant get a gear in.

Some who made the mistake to fill in the wrong oil changed it back to mineral oil and the clutch worked again properly.

And: you should change the "brake"-fluid from time to time in the 1200, the 1100 has a bowden.

cu - Rudi

456654":1ls3ope4 said:
Only important for the clutch is to use the right motor-oil.

The clutch doesnt want synthetic oil, only mineral. If you fill synthetic oil the clutch will glue and you cant get a gear in.

Some who made the mistake to fill in the wrong oil changed it back to mineral oil and the clutch worked again properly.

And: you should change the "brake"-fluid from time to time in the 1200, the 1100 has a bowden.

cu - Rudi
the clutch on a 1200 wing does not use motor oil it uses dot4 brake fluid

Clutch is in oilbath, DOT4 is only for the clutchcylinder.

Wrong oil means the clutch doesnt close, bad DOT4 or air in the tube means the clutch doesnt open.

Only the (enhanced lubricity) oils cause clutch problems. If the oil has any claims to better mpg be suspect. Mobile1 synthetic is made for wet clutches and works fine. I use it in my Kawasaki with no issues.

456654":1p1qvjcb said:
I dont know so much about your Kawa - but dont try to fill synthetic oil into the Goldwing....
:headscratch: And your reasoning for this advice would be what? If there is a quirk of the wings that makes this inadvisable I'm unaware of it. Manuals do not mention synthetic oils but at the time these bikes were built there wasn't any available.

Sorry, english is not my first language...

"Glue": I meant that you cant switch a gear in because the fins swell and so the clutch doesnt part. And that this is really so have seen a lot of people here. They were not amused when they couldnt drive or only in the first gear...

I dont know how to explain it better - and I believe that google-translator wouldnt help you to understand it better.... :)

It seems to be depending on the original material of the clutch. Same at the 1100, didnt hear about this from the 1000s and, of course, not from the later models.

Simplest way to avoid this problem is to use mineralic oil, in no case synthetic or semi-synthetic