• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Classic Gold Wing and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

GL1000 1978 seat

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianofTas

Reaction score
I have a 1978 GL1000 with a touring seat but would like to get an original one. The touring seat doesn’t let you move forward or backward to maybe a more agreeable position.
I’m having no luck with eBay or local (Tasmania, Australia) wreckers, but am checking further afield. Does anyone have one to sell. Even if in poor condition I could probably get it reupholstered.
Keep safe guys.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=209609#p209609:2swpx3tm said:
BrianofTas » Mon May 06, 2019 9:15 am[/url]":2swpx3tm]
I have a 1978 GL1000 with a touring seat but would like to get an original one. The touring seat doesn’t let you move forward or backward to maybe a more agreeable position.
I’m having no luck with eBay or local (Tasmania, Australia) wreckers, but am checking further afield. Does anyone have one to sell. Even if in poor condition I could probably get it reupholstered.
Keep safe guys.

Original seats here go for hundreds of dollars and usually, that's without the grab rail and the lockset.

If you can find one.

I had an original seat come with my '81 Interstate that I bought in 1989. It came with a touring seat that needed covering. Had that done and swapped out within the first year. Stuck the original in a box and it sat in my basement for 25+ years. It was in excellent shape when I posted it on Ebay for $275.00 plus shipping. Only lasted 2 or 3 days.
DSC02021 (2).JPG

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=209617#p209617:3051xxk2 said:
BrianofTas » Tue May 07, 2019 9:22 am[/url]":3051xxk2]
They sure do seem to be pretty rare.

Mainly, I think, as they were NEVER comfortable for anything other than sitting in the driveway.

Don't forget that back in the day, most people dressed these things all up for long trips.

1st thing to go was the seat and most people didn't keep them, along with the headlight bucket, turn signal stalks, etc.

I have an original 77 seat I’ll take a look at tomorrow and asses the condition and let you know. I also have a cherry set of 77 original mufflers. As far as that goes I have and original 77 parts bike kinda rough but all the parts are there. You might want to check shipping charges to Oz before buying from the states. Just a thought.

Thanks for the advice anyway. I put on some lower (by about 2”) handlebars a few days ago. Now that I can lean a little forward, the seat feels better. Go figure! Still like to try the original seat though.

I lucked out in '04 and picked up an OEM in great shape for ~$75 by staulking ebay closely. The Diamond that I had was beautiful, but shoved my package into the shelter too much.