GL1100 1981 restoration

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to connect the final drive with the swing arm.
Is there a gasket between them? I cant see it on any available part list and drawings :headscratch:

OK I will not add any gasket :)

During installation of swing-arm I have noticed that Clymer when gives the torque for the left pivot miscalculates the units. According to Clymer the correct torque is 13 lb. ft - 10 Nm, but 13 lb.ft it is 18 Nm - almost twice as much! :shock: Such a mistake in such an important place.
Heynes is OK, but when I torque the left hand pivot to 18 Nm there is visible ca. 5-7 mm of left hand pivot thread between the frame and the swing -arm ( see photo). Is it correct?

Attachments

• IMG_3362.JPG
    IMG_3362.JPG
    275 KB · Views: 307
Here are the Honda instructions for swing arm installation
As you can see your aftermarket settings are incorrect and the swing arm should be centred.

Ansip - thanks for interesting scans.

The problem is that I do exactly as it is in the attached instruction. :roll: There is nothing about centering (I think there was something in case of GL1000). The length of the right pivot should assure that and the left is just to give right load/tension to the bearings.

What you mean by "aftermarket settings"?

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=177814#p177814:3covw0pi said:
Ansimp » Today, 1:19 pm[/url]":3covw0pi]
100 nm 76 ftlbs not 10nm as per your aftermarket clymer or Haynes manuels

OK I see,
100 Nm 76 ftlbs is for the right pivot and both Clymer and Haynes are in line with Honda service
18 Nm is for the left pivot and here Clymer is wrong quoting 10Nm (but is correct in ftlbs - 13), Haynes is in line with Honda

but still have the problem how it looks after installation :headscratch:

With a little help from my friends I managed to rebuild the VIN label :Egyptian:
Now I am looking for better picture of this one (picture thanks to the member of other Gold Wing forum)

Attachments

• IMG_3396.JPG
    IMG_3396.JPG
    280.5 KB · Views: 252
  • 81label.JPG
    81label.JPG
    134.9 KB · Views: 256
Still looking for better pictures of Vehicle Emission Control Information

Attachments

• IMG_4717.JPG
    IMG_4717.JPG
    247.2 KB · Views: 94
What specifically? Pretty sure the only emissions controls on the 81 were built into the carb rack. Not relevant here so I've not done any research.

I have noticed that I did not finish the thread :)
So please find the final result after some minor problems I had on the way and thanks to all who helped and supported the process.

Attachments

• GL1100 mój 1.jpg
    GL1100 mój 1.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • GL1100 mój 2.jpg
    GL1100 mój 2.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • GL1100 mój 3.jpg
    GL1100 mój 3.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC_1798.JPG
    DSC_1798.JPG