GL1100 Starter

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=215016#p215016:32k33qcj said:
wilcoy02 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:15 am[/url]":32k33qcj]
I am only getting a click sound. Nothing turns.

That rules out starter clutch. When the starter clutch is bad, you hear the starter spin like crazy but it will not engage the engine.

In your case, just a click is most likely just a bad starter solenoid. Turn the key on, run a cable from the battery positive to the starter terminal bolt and see if it starts.

I drained the oil and set it on the wood burning stove for the night. Put the hot oil in the engine.
Just a click.

I had an old solenoid laying around. Replaced the starter solenoid. Took a few turns but it finally started.
Got the stable in the gas and ran the bike for about 20 minutes.

So I hope that will take care of everything for the winter.

Thanks to all for the responses.

I do prefer to ride when it is cold out. Cold to me is 20 F.
Not sure if i can this year due to my back injury earlier in the year.
I thought I better winterize it, in case I can't ride yet.

Back in the day of steel oil pans, we'd use magnetic heaters on automobiles parked overnight. Worked well, other than crawling under the vehicle to attach/remove the heater.

Don't know how that would work out with an aluminum engine block of the Goldwings. Maybe the lower part of the radiator has a spot where the heater would work, heating up the coolant?

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=215008#p215008:wbwpi3c0 said:
pidjones » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:27 am[/url]":wbwpi3c0]
Not the starter clutch, you would hear the starter spin without engaging. Test voltage at the starter post while trying. I'm betting it will be very low if anything. Then work your way back toward the battery. Solenoid M post, then B post. Solenoid contacts carry a lot of current and arc causing damage to them, they eventually fail. Cable connections, even between connector and the wire eventually fail. And, the ground connection from battery to frame must be checked.

My experience was similar, but it wouldn't start with a known good battery consistantly. Rebuilt starter, twice! Solution was cleaning the ground contact between starter body and engine case, it is next to the mounting bolt for the starter. A little sandpaper to each face cured the problem.

Oops! Just realized I responded at the end of page one...didn't look to see page 2, doh!