GL1100I radiator hoses

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IBAJIM

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have read on this Forum that a Gates 21008 hose can substitute for the coolant hoses. I believe I read that it can be cut and part of it used for the lower radiator hose and also the upper radiator hose.

Well, I decided to replace my hoses after changing my timing belt, so I bought a Gates 21008 hose. I was able to use part of the hose to substitute for the lower hose, but there is no way I could use what was left over to substitute for the upper hose. The upper hose is much longer than the piece that was left over and the upper hose also has a 90 degree bend, which the piece that was left over doesn't have.

I went to Rock Auto and started searching for a 1 inch ID hose that might sub for the upper hose. Rock Auto is a nice site because they have a lot of pictures and dimensions of many parts.

So, I found a Gates 21029 hose ( $6.79 + shipping ) that will work for the upper radiator hose. it has a 90 degree bend and has a 1 inch ID.

BTW, it looks like the lower OEM hose is not available ( obsolete ) and the upper OEM hose is about $31. The Gates 21008 hose is $7.42 ( + shipping ) from Rock Auto.

Don't remember which hose that i bought, to replace both of the hoses from one. :nea: The piece cut off the bottom, so that the hose fit's into the top hose's spot, was the perfect size for the bottom hose as well. :yes:

NAPA 7733 is equivalent to the Gates 21008. Without the 90 degree bend, it looks like it will have a kink. I'm a lot more comfortable buying both the 21008 and 21029 and using part of the 21029 for the upper hose. It has the molded 90 degree bend and won't kink.

Here is when I changed out my hose with a NAPA 7733:

image.php

That is what the one's i bought years ago looked like, :good: 1" I D & plenty long enough. :yes:

Thanks for that explanation. I used the opposite end for the short lower hose since the lower hose also has a slight formed bend. I didn't want to take a chance of it kinking also. But ya, how you cut it should be OK.

Still on one of the 1100's, :whistling: don't know about the other one, :headscratch: sold em both, over 10 years ago. :roll: If it's still on the road, it's probably still on. :yes: