GL1200 Death Rattle?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RazMan

Reaction score
My Bike Models
Custom GL1200 Bobber
Triumph Rocket 3
I have just bought my next project, a 1984 GL1200 which REALLY needs some tlc. It runs quite well but has an atrocious engine rattle at tickover. I know that this can be worse if the carbs are out of balance but they have just been balanced to eliminate this as the cause. The rattle is clearly coming from the clutch/gearbox area and only improves slightly when revved. I am definitely pulling out the engine but I am not sure what to look for first.
Can anyone give me some pointers please?

Thanks for the replies guys (y)
It took me a while but here is a video of the noise - as you can see, the poor old girl needs some serious luvin'
I didn't think of the alternator coming loose - that is certainly now on my shortlist :D

Attachments

• 20230626_145410.mp4
    13.8 MB
Thats encouraging news guys - thanks

Seems to be running real smooth otherwise.
Yes, and apart from a chronic case of engine case corrosion it runs remarkably well for a 40 year old. Yesterday I gave the poor thing a really good degrease & wash - possibly the first in its life by the look of it!
I will be restoring it over the next 6 months or so and it looks like the engine is going to take most of this time 😱

Well, once again I have to thank you guys for the diagnosis - which was spot on of course!
I took the back cover off and the stator came with it, bits of sprag clutch all over the place :rolleyes:
The securing nut had worked loose so the stator was rattling like crazy. After a clean up, all of the components are still in good condition so I have just got to bung it all back together and I'll be good to get on the road again. That said, I am having a problem getting the sprag clutch rollers to retract enough so that I can get the stator back in place - is there a knack to doing this?
20230726_163217.jpg

Last edited:
Thats a great help jsp so thanks for that, however my stator design is quite different so the 'straw' technique won't work - you can see that my access holes line up to where the rollers are in the fully retracted position. However, it got me thinking and I found an even simpler solution. I placed 3 Neodyn magnets (the kind used in speedo pickup sensors) to keep the rollers in the retracted position until the clutch assembly was in position and then just removed them with some long nosed pliers - worked like a charm!

Attachments

• 20230727_100800.jpg
    20230727_100800.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230727_101155.jpg
    20230727_101155.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 0