GL1800 - air filter replacement $275!!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcgovern61

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
Former '82 GL1100 "The Slug"
I just helped my buddy change his air filter on his GL1800. The filter cost $30....not too bad since it is a specialty (ya had to see it!) :cheeky:
I am so glad that I have a GL1100 that I can work on! To get to the air filter, pratically the entire top of the bike has to come off in individual pieces! Seat, tank cover, fairing pockets, side covers, radio setup, additional dashboard cover, speakers disconnected, cruise control, multiple wire harneses (looked like a 747 was wired in!), all kinds of plastic and trim fittings, air box cover and then finally the air filter! There were so many wires, harneses, cables, connectors, small elves.....I got scared! :shock: If you pull one wire out of a harness or plug incorrectly, I have no idea how you would ever trace it back again??? :rtfm: :rant:

He said that at the Honda Dealer, it is about 2.5 hours of labor to replace the filter for a total cost of about $275. :Awe: :help: :heat: :rant: :doh: :swoon:

(I don't think I will be getting a GL1800 anytime soon) :headscratch:

mcgovern61":11x0vehg said:
He said that at the Honda Dealer, it is about 2.5 hours of labor to replace the filter for a total cost of about $275. :Awe: :help: :heat: :rant: :doh: :swoon:

(I don't think I will be getting a GL1800 anytime soon) :headscratch:
Nice, you helped him save over $200!
I won't be buying one anytime soon either.
Not so much all the work that has to be done to work on it, I just plain don't like it.
Too small. Now the 1500...........

i dont think i want to modify one of those bikes ......my neighbor down the road has a bmw 1200 and it gets serviced every yr andhe puts on about 100 miles in a season and then its ready for another servicing .....some realy expensive miles ..... :shock: :mrgreen:

2.5 HOURS just to change the air filter? OMG! Thats insane.
$30 for the filter and $245 labour, well now I see how Honda keeps it's dealerships in business, wow.
And here I thought changing the air filter on Yamaha XJ750 Seca was bad since it took me 20 minutes the last time I did it.
Some one please slap me hard next time I look at a GL1800.

Flinx":3qwut4p8 said:
2.5 HOURS just to change the air filter? OMG! Thats insane.

Yes it is! But after working with him to get to the filter to put it all back together, it took us almost 4 hours. 2.5 hours is actually reasonable under the circumstance! :grin:

But I think Honda could have done a better job making the filter more accessible! :cheeky:

Latest posts