Goldwing Shop? - OldeWings

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcgovern61

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
Former '82 GL1100 "The Slug"
Talking to the Missus over our anniversary weekend getaway last week...we were discussing my job and how we are in need of a change (for many reasons). The topic came up about restoring the Wing and I had one of those brilliant (potentially stupid) ideas.....open up a shop that specializes in old Goldwings. Now...before I get too carried away here...I know Frenchy and Susan over at Crescent Moon is closing for I am not sure what reason but could very well be financial.

But wouldn't it be cool to have a shop that restores Classic Wings..you know....barn finds and Ebay Queens that are turned back into safe riding..good looking...great running bikes? I'd even go a step further and consider hooking up with a painter for complete paint work too.

Stripping these bikes down and putting them back into road worthy condition isn't all that hard. Hook up with some whole sellers for parts, even specialize in complete rebuilding of carbs...cleaned...tested and ready to go!

I'd name the shop, "OldeWings"......seems exciting! (Maybe I should just wake up and stop dreaming?) :read:

Excellent idea, Gerry.
I'm sure everyone here and on the other forums would support you whenever possible.

I have yet to hear from Frenchy directly in that thread whether he'd still be selling parts but either way I sure wouldn't let alittle competition stand in your way of pursuing a dream.

That would be fun, but making $ at it might be a challenge.

I'd think you would have to branch out to other bikes and services.

there is a moto guy here in Seattle I talked with the other day(about my carb problem) - his shop is located near a lumber yard I frequent. He had a lot of bikes and parts and had just taken over the biz from his friend.

I think they make it in the warmer months but do the ebay shuffle when the weather turns cold.

I think if you could branch out to all sort of repair and fixing of old bikes not just GL's you could survive. It might take awhile.....to get a customer base, but you'd have to take the long view.

I've thought of the very same thing but I need knowledge and skills and time.....

I think I'll stick to what I know to make real $ and tinker with the bikes for fun and spare change....

Great idea, but I think you'ld definatly need to service other makes to stay afloat. Unless you have an exceptionally high number of old wings in your area whose owners aren't mechanically adept. :roll:

I feel the same way , people ask me all the time , what would i take to build them a Teardrop Camper , but I say , I don't have time and still have time to use mine . But , there was a time I would have , if I could have made enough to live on . I guess you pretty much have to follow your gut feelings on these things.

There was one shop in my area who worked on older wings.They were very expensive,and not that good.They closed a year or two ago.Now they are other shops,but same old story.If it new,or a Harley.They shy away from them.I was working so much last year I had one put on a stator,and a new regulator.$800.00
About a 1/2 days job for me.I think Im in the wrong business.It wasnt even a wing.A Cavalcade,did not even have to pull the motor.And I bought the parts.Now I make time.I just bought a 81 wing to restore.It isnt running,more like limping along crutches.And I'm going to be looking for a shop to handle a little of the work.Mainly sand blasting and paint.The only shop I know of that is VERY GOOD wont touch a older wing. :beg:

what would i take to build them a Teardrop Camper

I'd like one of those :hi:

not to digress but - what's involved. I think I might like to make one myself.....

Re: the goldwing shop. I know it is easier said than done but - pay off debt, save money, get a part time job, have the wife and kids work, and do it on the side, branch out to other services - paint, brakes, fork seals, electrical, electrical, tire changes, espresso and cake - we all like to eat good!

you know the saying. the only thing we have to fear is fear itself!

Hey I am moving to Chile when I retire - in a couple 3 years and plan on having a shop in my backyard - and hopin not to be one of those "shadetree" guys - though there that is more common - sun, sun, sun. I'll prob. have to work on a lot of scooters though. Hey that's an excuse to go buy a scooter and start learning :music: