goldwing smoking gl1100

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing too difficult about it... Just read about it and take your time while doing it. The biggest thing to remember when done...

Crank the engine through by hand and not with the starter!

If you get to a point where the engine will not move while turning it through by hand, you have something mis-alligned in the timing. It is better to find it this way than when using the starter and have the pistons meet the valves. Bad things will happen.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=89890#p89890:1ce3x6dh said:
src68 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:17 pm[/url]":1ce3x6dh]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=89675#p89675:1ce3x6dh said:
David Mantle » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:13 am[/url]":1ce3x6dh]
With some bikes the head gaskets last 100`s of thousands of miles , others seem to let rip at 20k . No one knows why . Fate decrees that your time is nigh . My only bit of advice to you and your buddy is to make sure you get the timing correct upon reassembly , even one tooth out can be disastrous and highly expensive. While at it budget for new cam belts and change them. Ask any old hand and they will tell you what could happen if the belts go kaput . Mine went on my previous wing and destroyed the motor ( piston smashed , bent rod, badly scored bores , head damaged ) need I elaborate .

sorry.. lost internet at home. Tehy are coming out tomorrow... uhg. anyway, i am a little confused now :headscratch: . what do you mean 'get timing correct'? i was told it is only a gasket.... take off all the bolts clean up the area really good, put the new gasket on, and then torque to specs.. what is this timing you are mentioning? Do i have to mess with the Cams? and a timing chain?

With regards " timing " -- I mean VALVE timing. The "T" on the crankshaft should be aligned with it`s mark when the cam belt wheel is aligned with the corresponding mark on the cover.
Agree with post #21 - crank engine by hand to check everything is aligned correctly. Even cranking with starter can bend a valve. (Don`t ask how I know - I did this once on a CX500 I used to own.)

And since they need to be removed to take off the head.. I would replace them at the same time do it because of something else that requires removal to do it.. and you are steps ahead... many suggest you take a sharpie and write date and mileage belts changed on the inside of the belt covers so you have a reminder..

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=123118#p123118:2w30aymx said:
src68 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:07 am[/url]":2w30aymx]
thanks so I need 2 of whats above in the pictures? I am a little confusedI thought that was just the gaskets thank you
You have to remove the 2 timing belts to replace the head gaskets so we're suggesting since you'll have to move the radiator anyway, it's a good time to replace the timing belts and be done with it.
The 2 timing belts are not in that last picture you linked.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=123168#p123168:2i36ggxq said:
src68 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:30 pm[/url]":2i36ggxq]
oh... DOH!! :swoon: thanks. wish me luck. i am going to try and do this and have done in next 2 weeks..... :beg:
You can do it! :rocks:

~O~

ok.. parts are ordered.... NO turning back now.. i have been searching this site for replacing head gaskets.... i seen a few.... can anyone past the BEST, most easiest one to follow for a novice... please....
thanks much. (I'm already sweaty and nervous.... :shock: :heat:

Patience and cleanliness are your best friends! Block and head surfaces flat and clean!!! We're here for ya if you have even the slightest doubt. Good luck with it, and take pics along the way! You'll be glad you did, and we want to watch!!

+1 to what steve83 said. Take your time Post your questions and they'll be answered. Even if you are pretty sure but have a tiny doubt ask. Sealing surfaces must be flat and clean. Good time to change the belts and check rockers and set valves. The book doesn't recommend this in changing the gaskets but to be sure there are no bent valve mishaps. Remove the rocker arms until you are certain you have the timing belts on right. Be sure the plugs are in at least finger tight whenever you do any work at the top of the motor. A few have found screws and such can easily drop in and cause damage. Just go one step at a time.

Latest posts