Got rid of my thermostat and couldnt be happier!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder what the long term effects (50-80k miles in summer heat) are from the radiator heat on the carbs with the heat shield removed. It sure does open things up with it out.
May allow better air flow through the radiator?

I'm no engineer, but I'm guessing the guys who designed are "Wings were, so I use the stat, the deflectors and the recommended stuff in the manual, and personally, My Aspy performs flawlessly at factory settings.....just sayin'

I have thought about using a restrictor plate in place of the stat to slow down water flow,we`ll see.But for now I`m just gonna RIDE.

If the bikes are like cars (which I think they are) running the engine cooler makes the piston, cylinders run at tighter tolerances and could lead to more wear on the engine. Just my take.

Tory":jv14azqy said:
i think you have that backwords,The tolerances are tighter at temp,looser when cold.

Which brings up a question, which expands more with heat, steel or aluminum?

WindNWing":3te16rua said:
Sorry Joe, aluminium expands more from heat. The coefficient of thermal expansion for aluminium is approximately twice that of steel.
Ditto....aluminum expands more (and much faster than steel!)

IN ANY CASE , I think the point was or should have been,that the guy that designed this motor also took into concideration the materials to be used AND an optimum operating temp for this combination of components; meaning you shouldent play around or experiment here,right?BUT they also build in a certain amount of safety to cover "Worst case senarios",hence I doubt you can do anything wrong or hurt the motor by not running the thermostat.

OH it just hit me(because of my next project) that on inboard boats that use car engines and use see water for cooling also do not run thermostats(even though there were designed to),AND constantly receive cold water,unlike on a vehicle with a closed system where the water gets hot............. :headscratch: so whats the conclusion....?I dunno either.......

Smokey66":2e61ssze said:
OH it just hit me(because of my next project) that on inboard boats that use car engines and use see water for cooling also do not run thermostats(even though there were designed to),AND constantly receive cold water,unlike on a vehicle with a closed system where the water gets hot............. :headscratch: so whats the conclusion....?I dunno either.......
Actually...inboards do use thermostats...they are on the internal cooling system of the engine with an expansion tank. The external cooling (sea water system) is raw water pulled into a heat exchanger (no thermosts there) and expelled back to sea usually through the exhaust. The cold water is the sea water, but it passes through the heat exchanger the same as air passes through the radiator (which is also a heat exchanger).

Thanks;I forgot about that.Thats right,the water on mine is pumped from the outside to the exhaust manifolds FIRST then into the front of the block and exits out what used to be the Thermostat housing and into the exhaust. So it IS pre-heated before it goes into the block.But still no thermostat.

BUT I should add that I wont be using those manifolds and will have an open pipe coming of each exhaüst port going straight up in the air,meaning the water will go right to the block ! SO NOW TAKE THAT :yahoo:

Actually Most engines manyfavtored for boats are not stock automotive engines they have hardened parts inside: rings, valves, valve seats, cams and such...because of the higher sustained reving...That is my story and i am sticking to it :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Yeah you can BUY a special "Marine" engine,but I`m Old-School (read CHEAP) and am building my own boat and adapting a car engine...............ever seen an old Speed/Ski boat with the car enige in the back with the upside down headers.....I`m putting the motor in the middle cause I`m too cheap to buy a V-Drive.........