Got rid of my thermostat and couldnt be happier!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smokey66":3b0ujtq8 said:
Thanks;I forgot about that.Thats right,the water on mine is pumped from the outside to the exhaust manifolds FIRST then into the front of the block and exits out what used to be the Thermostat housing and into the exhaust. So it IS pre-heated before it goes into the block.But still no thermostat.
Is this your own design? Are you in salt water? Salt water crystalizes at 90 degrees and will destroy the inside of your engine. That is why an external heat exchanger is used with zincs to prevent the corrosion from destroying the engine.

Smokey66":xrsqgok4 said:
Yeah you can BUY a special "Marine" engine,but I`m Old-School (read CHEAP) and am building my own boat and adapting a car engine...............ever seen an old Speed/Ski boat with the car enige in the back with the upside down headers.....I`m putting the motor in the middle cause I`m too cheap to buy a V-Drive.........
Marine engines have many other differences than stock auto engines....for one thing, the carbs (or injectors) use special o-rings to prevent leakage of gasoline down into the bilge which creates a real hazardous condition. Gas in the bilge will ignite with the tiniest spark! (Real fireball, even with an open cockpit boat!!!!) The wiring is also speacial coated to prevent water corrosion, sparks, and shorts. Watch those headers!!! The heat created can add to the gasoline danger as well as light up a wooden or fiberglass boat! Most gasoline engines on boats require water cooled exhaust manifolds!

I have been a Licensed Captain for 30 years on boats from small vessels and yachts to tankers and other offshore vessels and have seen many a small boat end up in a less than desirable condition from owner modifications! (Don't want to see ya ending up in the sky unexpectantly!)

Okay,first of all,I grew up with boats and being on the water as I come from Biloxi Mississippi,right on the gulf of mexico.I grew up in the seventys and there were lots of these types of boats on the water.Home-builds and fiberglass manufauctered ski boats with v-drives(motor in the back),stern-drives,mid motor jet-drives,and so on.They ALL ran regular old "hot rodded"car engines;small and big-block chevy,a few 455 olds,a 440 mopar,even a hemi now and then.Big cam,tunnel ran intake with Two big holleys sometimes mounted on wedge plates to compensate for the tilted mounting of the motor.The ski boats didnt run the high mounted open headers because of obvious safety issues.YES salt water is a problem,but 90% of time these boats run in rivers where the water is fresh AND calm. ive attatched a couple of you tube vids so folks could get an idea of what these things looks like,i guess for people that my be land locked.
https://youtu.be/pwXJfBdjyhY
https://youtu.be/QUwiuDZLJjE

Smokey66":abieklu6 said:
Sorry,I know this is all WAY off topic....
Naw...it's your thread anyway! Not trying to tell ya how to build a boat anymore than tell ya how to modify a Wing! Just sharing some knowledge from some years on the water! Have fun and be careful! :thanks:

Holy crap,
Speaking as a guy who is far from land locked,a boat like that wouldnt last 5 minutes in lake michigan.One five foot wave would wipe it out real quick,and thats not even a rough day.It would be fun in one of michigans countless inland lakes though.

Years ago I had a checkmate with a small block chevy.I pulled the motor to rebuild it,and installed the built motor out of my old mud truck so I could still run the boat.
Blew it up the first time out.Even that tough old motor couldnt handle the sustained RPMs.
I freshened up the stock motor,reinstalled it,and determened the best day of a boat owners life is the day he sells it.

By the way the plans for the boat and many others are avalible from Glen L.Been around since the 50s I think.
https://www.boatdesigns.com/

I´m still collecting materials and parts and sweet-talking the wife ;she ask;"How many projects does one person need?" "When can I park my Car in the garage again?" "How much is all this going to cost?" you married guys know how it is.................

Smokey66":1qqicypu said:
I´m still collecting materials and parts and sweet-talking the wife ;she ask;"How many projects does one person need?" "When can I park my Car in the garage again?" "How much is all this going to cost?" you married guys know how it is.................

Yep! "Happy Wife...........Happy Life!" :smilie_happy:

mcgovern61":2h9h43za said:
Smokey66":2h9h43za said:

Yep! "Happy Wife...........Happy Life!" :smilie_happy:

Especially when it comes to a thermostat!

When I got married we didnt have a garage,then I got a small shed,then a bigger shed.....
Point being,if you never let them park in the garage from the begining,they never know what there missing.

But my barn has a THERMOSTAT so I am not off topic. :Egyptian:

Being a former smog tech in cali I learned a lot about what engine puts out less emssions. They run these late model cars hot because they run leaner and have a more complete combustion and less emissions. But when you live where I do you don't even need a thermostat in some early model bikes and cars because they will run hot all the time. I run my wing without a thermostat and it runs fine, new head gaskets, and all.
When its 105 for a high during the day you don't have to worry about the engine getting up to temp. If I lived back in the San fran bay area I would run a thermostat tho.

Remember also that marine engines spin backwards. Singlescrew- counterclockwise. Twinscrew- one of each. As a result the props are obviously left and/or right.BUUUUTTTT ANNNYYYWWWAAAAYYY!