Greetings all. I'm Marc from NH

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marc Cray

Reaction score
Today I have a tech question. Have any of you heard of the coil causing your bike to shutdown after it gets up to temp. #) miles and probably 15 mi. of Interstate travel. Bogs down no power and it just quits. Now last year had belts done this year all 4 carbs cleaned ultrasonically. Ran well. went for a longer ride and ran out of fuel. Refilled with new gas. Wouldn't start. Trailered to mech. he told me I had the kill switch on so it wouldn't start. He went out flipped the kill and away it went. 30 miles later repeat event. I have spoken to a few folks and have gotten mixed reviews. Is the coil a possibility.

Welcome and although it is a very good possibilty,i havent heard of both dying at the same time

Try opening the gas cap. Sometimes the vent gets plugged. Also the pickup in the tank can get plugged with sediment (ruining the carb cleaning if you haven't installed good inline filter). Usually only one coil fails, and when it foes it comes back after cooling. You may just need a shot of cleaner on your kill switch.

Try opening the gas cap. Sometimes the vent gets plugged. Also the pickup in the tank can get plugged with sediment (ruining the carb cleaning if you haven't installed good inline filter). Usually only one coil fails, and when it foes it comes back after cooling. You may just need a shot of cleaner on your kill switch.
Another good thought. Thanks

Does it do it after the gas tank is half empty ? If so it could be the fuel pump cuz it will gravity feed the carbs until a half a tank and then the fuel pump has to be in good shape

Today I have a tech question. Have any of you heard of the coil causing your bike to shutdown after it gets up to temp. #) miles and probably 15 mi. of Interstate travel. Bogs down no power and it just quits. Now last year had belts done this year all 4 carbs cleaned ultrasonically. Ran well. went for a longer ride and ran out of fuel. Refilled with new gas. Wouldn't start. Trailered to mech. he told me I had the kill switch on so it wouldn't start. He went out flipped the kill and away it went. 30 miles later repeat event. I have spoken to a few folks and have gotten mixed reviews. Is the coil a possibility.

You might also want to check out your pick up coil. That will definitely do exactly as you described.