Greetings from Glenview, IL-New Member

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strapman

Reaction score
Just wanted to to say thanks as a few weeks ago you guys helped me troubleshoot an electrical issue on a 1983 Interstate i'm rebuilding.

Thought i'd post a before (red) and after (black)-at least to this point, waiting on a few parts back from paint-side bags, covers, false tank, side cowlings....but my rewiring done, motor refresh, starter refresh, wheels, brakes, radio, etc...had every nut/bolt in my hand at some point!!! OMG, never realized there were so many parts!!!Getting close and should be riding next week!

Attachments

• 315412_3355757336932_1180516383_n.jpg
    315412_3355757336932_1180516383_n.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 189
  • 6-20-13 004.JPG
    6-20-13 004.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 176
Thanks for the replies and yes re red calipers, rebuilt all and the master cylinders, also added stainless brake lines with the red covering. Flat black powder coat on the wheels, just wanted to break up all the black. Honestly, the thing that took me the longest amount of time was the wiring for the new fuse block---below!

New radio and speakers too...guess electrical wiring runs not my forte'! (tinning wires, soldering, heat shrink---it all sucks!)

Funny re this bike---i rode dirt bikes (Maaco, Montessa) and fast bikes (Kaw 900; Yamaha Maxim 1100) in the late 70's early 80's...was in college in 83' and saw a guy drive up on a new Interstate---thought...one day! After selling all my toys when the kids were young (3 daughters in college now, yes at same time!) i thought abou that old wing and found one last fall with 42k miles---it was rough, but cleaned up well---couldn't take the red color though. I also love that you can actually see the motors on these older wings! Been a great time restoring this bike and can't wait to ride!

Attachments

• 5-8-13 054.JPG
    5-8-13 054.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 162
  • 6-20-13 007.JPG
    6-20-13 007.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 162
Thanks for the comments Steve and Squirrel! Just got word final painted parts coming back this Saturday---wetsanding and buffing, re-assembly...i'm shooting for a Sunday afternoon finish and maiden voyage!!!

So, waiting to pick up the remainder of my painted parts today and was out in garage looking things over...thought i'd share a few resto items i covered when i started this project in January. Since i had everything apart at sometime, i recall a few simple upgrades to ensure longevity---one, i added zirc fittings to the rear brake pedal and center stand as when i had disassembled these were pretty crusty. Did not rechrome anything, used a product called nevr dull followed immediately (while nevr dull was wet) with aluminum foil--this removed alsmost all the surface rust-then chrome polish. Second, on the aluminum parts like front fork legs, carb intakes and carb top covers, i buffed these on buffing wheel started with a gray rouge, followed with white rouge and finalized with a aluminum polish from mothers---what a shine! Mechanically, i did go thru everything, new wheel bearings, swing arm refresh, new brake lines, front/rear claiper n master cylinder rebuilds, all electrical upgrades to stator wires, dog bone fuse, new fuse block, starter refresh, carb rebuild kit, radio n speakers, timing belts, engine adjustment work and painted main engine halves black, on all the badging for the oldwing---i removed, washed with hot soapy water, shot a lil paint prep, rattle canned a transluscent candy red, followed with clear---they came out awesome. powder coated rims, painted calipers, new tires, new driving lights and car horns---they'll hear me. A few i wish i would haves----i cheaped out n the paint job, was getting quotes of $1500-$1800, went with a guy for $300, i wet sand and buff...although paint is decent, not a perfect job, you get what u pay for....also, went with a Lincoln Black---forgot how tough black is to buff/polish to get a real deep shine without imperfections, they're in there, but for a 30 year old bike and not intended for a "show quality"---fine with it. Now, the grand total....1983 Interstate 42k miles, purchased for $900--rough, crappy paint job, dirty....i spent $1161 dollars in parts, paint, tires....and all the labor was me, but i can't price that---it was therapy! Raining here in Illinois with forecast for more tomoroow---intend on piecing all together for completion tonite and will post final pics tommorow before first real ride.

Thanks....having three daughters and wife, the garage has been my sanctuary! Anything to get away from the estrogen running thru the house! Now, i need to find some other "old wingers" in the area to ride with, tell lies and have a few beers!!!!

Damn!!!! A roadblock! Seems the parts the "painter" painted, two side cowilings, tank pieces and one rear hard bag...btw, the first time returned these with missed basecoat in area's...i sent back and told him to reshoot and clear---he did not reshoot the basecoat just puddled on more clear---runs, ribbons, orange peel like crazy! I swear i did a way better job on trim pieces with a rattle can! Anyway, i'm stripping them and painting myself----of course, the one job i went "outside" with to a presumed pro now is haunting me and my ability to ride! Never again, i'll do the job myself in future! Looks like a mid week ride as shooting tommorow and need clear to dry before attacking!

As a tradesman the most frustrating thing is to see jobs sent out of an unacceptable standard. :head bang:

Finally finished with the "frshen up"! 1983 Interstate, 46k miles...final assembly was this am....rainy, just finished and the sun came out!!! Time for a quick shower and then the maiden voyage! Thanks gain for the previous help trouble-shooting a few things over past few months. This forum is an unbeleivable resource for these "old wings"! A few pics...

Attachments

• 6-29-13 008.JPG
    6-29-13 008.JPG
    139.4 KB · Views: 119
  • 6-29-13 009.JPG
    6-29-13 009.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 120