Head gasket thickness

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bummer man, nobody has one to measure?

Reason I ask is I found a U.S company that makes them to what I 'think' is stock thickness and they also make one that's almost 1/2 again thicker.
I want to order 2 of the thicker one's but I'm holding off til I find out how thick the OEM Honda's are.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=120313#p120313:10nuphtq said:
slabghost » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:55 pm[/url]":10nuphtq]
I have a new set but they are non oem .
It's important they are OEM for a accurate check.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=120312#p120312:1cau7lz2 said:
ekvh » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:46 pm[/url]":1cau7lz2]
I will have one in a week or so.
Cool.

Remind me next Sunday. I should be back from Florida and the parts should.... Better be.....here by then. I got a confirmation of the order Wednesday, but no shipping yet. I may call them and see if they waiting for something.

Just a thought on thicker head gaskets... The valve timing and timing belt tension will change slightly as the head is moved outward. Probably not enough to make any real difference. The compression will also be lowered slightly. A thicker gasket is the opposite of milling the head. For what it's worth...

well this head gasket thing is really starting to suck ...its obvious the quality of the gaskets have really came down over the years ....not just oldwings all gasket making in general ....im at a point that i think i could make my own and beat whats out there to buy easy ... but i am just ranting at the moment .....

I hope you're not thinking of using cereal boxes... :smilie_happy:

I think the head gasket is probably the hardest working part on these engines. They have to tolerate heat, cold, expansion, contraction, and extreme pressure. They have to seal oil, coolant, and combustion gasses, as well as all the crap trying to get in from the outside!

Joe, you've done amazing things, and I'm extremely impressed, but if you cam build a dependable head gasket, then you're the GoldWing god! Good luck with this challenge!!! :salute:

it may crossed my mind LOL ... but i am looking to beat the cereal box deal ....it looks to me theat the head gaskets are only as tough as the heat resitance of the goo ....once the goo looses it stability the torque is gone and gasket blows ... past surface irregularities it eems ther should be no goo factor at all .. is how i see it ...

Latest posts