head light fix.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fastmover83

Reaction score
If after you start your Wing and find the headlight isn't working, neither high or low beam or the high beam indicator light, but the fuse is good, the problem is a sticking starter button switch. there are two sets of stationary contact points in the switch one for the headlight and one for the starter with a set of spring loaded sliding contacts between them. The light contacts are normally closed and the starter contacts are normally open. When You push the starter button the headlight contacts open, turning off the headlight so all available unused electrical power will go through the starter contacts to the starter, then when you release the button they close, supplying the headlight with power again. When the switch gets dirty the spring loaded slide contacts will stick midway and not travel all the way back to the headlight contacts and the lights won't work. A good flushing with electronic contact cleaner then a quick spray of WD-40 to lube the button and slide, will set everything right, without taking the switch apart, though you may have to disassemble the left control housing far enough to get the cleaner into the switch housing. This tip may be old news to some of you, but I thought it would worth mentioning, as this problem can be a real headache to solve, because if the bike sets for a while, the slide spring may over power the dirt and the light will work again until the starter button is pushed and the slide sticks again, leaving you without lights.

Thanks, but the credit doesn't go to me, I learned this fix from my local bike shop owner. Having owned a Yamaha for the last 16 years, which use a relay that is activated by a signal from the alternator to turn on the headlight after the engine starts and keep it on until the key is turned off , I would have spent a lot of time trying to find the problem. On my way home from work last night I stopped by his shop to borrow his 1100 Manuel, to trace out the problem, and he explained to me what the problem was and how to fix it.

I spent a couple of nights chasing wires on mine, too, for a headlight malfunction. I found the problem by accident, but it was definitely the starter switch. I kept studying the wiring diagram, and figured, "hey....what if?", Sure enough, mashing the starter switch a few times got the headlight on. I cleaned the switch, and haven't had a bit of trouble with it since.
Good info to know, for sure!

Thanks for posting the "no headlight" problem. It happened the first time to me on my way home from work in which I need to drive through a tunnel and scared me to death. Never would have thought that the starter switch was the problem. Although it has stuck in times past and I just sprayed it with WD-40 and the starter part of it worked again. Now lately , the bike starts but the headlight takes a few seconds up to 30 seconds to come on. I will try that flushing idea that you had. Thanks again! Joe (Page,AZ)

If you work on your fairing, remove it, or tinker with your radio and then find out you have no lights.. verify you have the fairing's harness grounded on the screw at the bottom of the left pocket area.. it could have broken, come loose, or gotten corroded.. (mine was not connected to the screw after pulling a after market radio a PO put in.. )

Latest posts