Hello from South Lyon, MI (near Detroit)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdbauer1962

Reaction score
Hello from the Motor City of Michigan !!! Thanks to Dan for this GL1100 forum !! I have a 1980 GL1100 w/Vetter package that I "rescued" from a barn 3 years ago. I am 48 years old, a father of three, happily married (most of the time :lol: ), and a lifetime motorcyclist, starting with minibikes at age 10, then dirtbikes, then streetbikes. They have been a mix of Honda's, Kawasaki's, and Suzukis. No Harleys yet !! I took about 12 years off, and got back into the sport three years ago. I specifically searched out a 1980 Goldwing since this was the year I graduated from High School, and bought my first "big" bike, a 1978 CB750K. I drooled over the 1980 Interstate back then, but had no budget for it at 18! I kept my 750 for about eight years, and then went through a bunch of bikes in the late 80's/early 90's with a mix of 550's, 650's, on up to a crazy fast KZ1000. I even owned a big Kawasaki 6-cyl 1300 cruiser for a couple months, but the bike was simply too big and heavy.

Then, I got married and rode on 4 wheels. Car seat's and bikes don't work well up in the upper midwest!!!

I am excited to be back in the saddle. I visit the NGW and Saunders sites and am happy to help anyone out with the little knowlege I have gained bring my GL back to life. If anyone in the Detroit area ever needs help or wants to ride, let me know !!!!

Mark Bauer

Let me be the first to welcome you to the CGW forums!

That's a nice story of your riding history.

Kawasaki sure did some wild stuff. I had a 3 cyl 2 stroke 500. Boy was that thing ever unpredictable the way it would launch once you found it's sweet spot in rpms! Fun bike.

dan filipi":1zsafhd4 said:
Let me be the first to welcome you to the CGW forums!

That's a nice story of your riding history.

Kawasaki sure did some wild stuff. I had a 3 cyl 2 stroke 500. Boy was that thing ever unpredictable the way it would launch once you found it's sweet spot in rpms! Fun bike.

Dan - my brother had a Kaw 500 like yours! First time I rode it I rushed it a little, and didn't let it warm up. I pulled away, pushed in the choke, and she bogged down. I was in a turn in front of traffic, so I twisted the throttle on pure instinct, power came back and wham, up goes the front end and over she goes !!! I looked like one of those idiots on you-tube !!! I paid a couple hundred plus precious 1982 dollars to fix it back up for him. That bike was really light in the front !!!!

Welcome to the CGW forums, Mark! You'll fit right in here! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Thanks to all for the warm welcome. I just bought a 1983 Interstate parts bike (36K, mostly complete, but sat outside a while..) that I plan to blend with my 1980 over the next year or so. I want to swap over the TRAC forks, the wheels, the braking system, and possibly the engine if it proves sound. I'm planning a semi-custom cruiser/bagger with the Hondaline saddle bags, and a "Police Harley" style windshield. I like the 83 cast wheels, and I'm told the 83's had better brakes.

here's my bike now:

Attachments

• IMG_0536.JPG
    IMG_0536.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0533.JPG
    IMG_0533.JPG
    130.2 KB · Views: 108
Looks good from here! :good: :eek:k: :good:
I see someone has already done the Hardly muffler swap! :mrgreen:

The Trac forks are reason enough to make the swap. I'm surprised your going to move the linked brake system over, it seems like most guys favor the non linked.
Personally I like them.

Mark, I had an '81 engine and recently swapped it out with an '83 and I would never go back! The drop in rpm alone because of the different gearing was well worth it.

welcome from airline lobby hotel central North TEXAS DFW area... seems we had 800 flights+ cancelled through our lil airport here because of the icelandic smoke fest...

hey mark i remember you postimg some when i was switching front forks ,swingarm,shocks and wheels on my 1000 from 1100 on NGW or SAUNDERS site

the 83 has a lot of potincal for mods on your 81

Latest posts