Help Diagnosing final drive sound.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldCrow

Reaction score
My Bike Models
GL1200A, R100RT, KL650
I took my 1987 Aspencade out for a test ride today after rebuilding the rear shocks and new rear tire. On returning I wanted a bit more air in the back, but while turning the rear wheel by hand to align the air valve stem I noticed an almost groan noise. Then when I turn the tire very slowly I hear a tick-tick-tick like the teeth meshing not quite right. I then rolled over and did the same test on my 1981 BMW R100RT and no noise.

I don’t recall the noise before I did the above work but it’s not really noticeable standing next to the bike. I used MolyKote on the wheel to final splines when I reassembled.

During the test ride I heard a higher frequency noise when on the throttle but I assumed it was the air intake noise just under the faux gas tank. Not easily located while riding but it seemed forward. I normally ride with ear plugs but this time I started riding without to listen for strange sounds.

Thanks.

After tearing the back apart again, must faster when 2nd time but still not quick, I believe I found the source of the mysterious noises, the final drive spline to wheel coupler. The doohicky had dried crusty lubricate that was probably installed at the factory. After a good cleaning and lubrication with MolyKote....Much better.

The strange thing is the regular clicking sound is gone. I can't guess how the coupler could have made that noise.

Test ride tomorrow morning the if all is well up the road to meet old friends at a neat ice cream shop.