Help me with Christmas hints...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveKamp

Reaction score
Okay everybody...

I've been asked by family... what do I want for Christmas...

Well, a set of heated grips, and a new windshield for my "84 GL1200A.

Which heated grips have 'yall used... and which ones would you reccommend that I either avoid, or ask for?

And what replacement windshields have you used on the '84 vintage Aspys, and what's your impression of what YOU bought?

before adding anything electrical to your 1200 wing make sure the stator can handle the load. as for a windshield I put a slip stream wrap around on mine before giving it to my niece. I also did an alternator conversion so power for heated grips or about anything else electrical wouldn't be a problem

Ah, okay.

So I did some mild browsing, and per a coworker's suggestion, RevZilla shows a few. I see entire grips, and I see what appears to be flat heating elements.

Am I correct to assume that the form factor for GL1200 is 7/8" bars?

How do the flat elements install?

I'll probably fit some hand guards... probably removable... to help the heaters and keep gloves dry... around that cold regime the run time needs substantially...

:smilie_happy: That's probably because... when it gets down to 60 degrees in Florida, people worry about the pipes freezing... :hihihi: :doh:

I tell 'ya what, Joe... if I get a company assignment down your way this winter, I'm gonna put my Aspy on a trailer... and when I get there, I'll meet 'ya for a day cruise, I'll let you use my mittens and earmuffs... ;-)

Let me suggest that heated gloves (with controllers - you can use LED solid state controllers from ebay ~$5 each) are the way to go. Keep the entire hand warm, not just the palms. I've been using Gerbings for over a decade now, and love them. Only using ~2.2 Amps (~27 Watts), they don't break the bank on most larger bike's electrical systems.

Latest posts