Help taiming a 86 Aspy!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kentech1

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I just picked up a GW on Sat. and my past bikes were HD's! The feel of this beast is very different and I dropped it over 3 times on the hour ride home. I find it very hard to just to walk this bike let alone getting her off the center stand without dropping her. I am 180 lbs. and this GW has put the fear of God into me. Once rolling I am fine! Anyone else have trouble taiming this beast? HELP :beg:

Maybe you should take all that beer out of the panniers first! :smilie_happy:

They do feel heavy at slow speeds until you get used to them.Steering one is very different from cruiser styled bikes. I suggest you practice in a parking lot at slow speeds gradually working to the smaller tighter turns. Go at your own pace it can take a while to learn.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=83683#p83683:2gj5bgor said:
slabghost » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:06 am[/url]":2gj5bgor]They do feel heavy at slow speeds until you get used to them.Steering one is very different from cruiser styled bikes. I suggest you practice in a parking lot at slow speeds gradually working to the smaller tighter turns. Go at your own pace it can take a while to learn.
Empty parking lot, tighter and tighter turns.
Yep, that helped me A LOT.

Don't feel like the lone ranger, I dropped mine two blocks from the PO's house when I bought it. They have a very small window of "lean" before you reach the point of no return. I went down to the high school parking lot and practiced for hours. Low air pressure in the tires also makes them hard to handle. After you reach about 8 mph, they are easy so I generally leave stop signs and red lights in a bit of a hurry.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=83681#p83681:1xflb4u1 said:
kentech1 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:40 am[/url]":1xflb4u1] I am 180 lbs.

But...do your feet go all the way to the ground? If the bike is too tall for you to handle when stopped, there are ways to make it lower, and easier to handle when stopped. Your weight really shouldn't be that much of an issue....it's the length of your legs, more likely. Don't give up on it, and don't be askeered of it. Oldwings can smell fear.... :mrgreen:
:good:

Thanks for all the advice Guys, I agree that practice is what I need. It does have a wobble and that scared me at first and like what was said tacking off a little quicker smooths it out. I am an auto tech here in Canada and also have ASE in Brakes and Elect so I will be checking everything out! She did run sooooooooooo smooth on the highway. Very impressed. I am in the middle of changing all the fluids and a new tire in the front and correct air in the suspension. Then we will see. Thanks again All

I hate to admit it but I feel like they all need to end up on the ground a couple of times. I have crashed the naked CBR twice in the one trip down my driveway when it was too slippery. Red had an unblemished record until in haste I hadn't put the side stand down properly and ended up not being able to hold it up as t kept leaning further over. A couple of little scratches on a side cover and very bruised pride :doh:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=83789#p83789:1rlyr0ba said:
toytender01 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:04 pm[/url]":1rlyr0ba]Don't use front break at slow speeds with front wheel turned (or while stopping) or you will go down
Yep, did that with Janet onboard in a parking lot once...your Okay after the searing wave of shame and embarrassment passes. :Awe:

~O~

I just jinxed myself! :head bang: Stopped at my mates place on his gravel driveway using the side stand, just turned off the GoPro and was about 10 feet away when I turned around because I heard something. It was the sound of the side stand sinking into his driveway, all I could do is look on as Red went slowly down to the ground. It would of all been on video if I hadn't already turned the camera off. :doh:

Well, I should add that not only my first time on one of these big beauties but I was riding two up with not much air in the rear tire and too much in the front forks and not enough in the rear. I felt the rear bottom out a couple of times on the ride home. I didn't want to adjust the air because I thought the temp side was not working properly. I will be out today and after a few adjustments let you know what the feel is. I also fail to mention that I lost the rear and r/front brake because someone put other than brake fluid in the resavior. I think I got it all out because I have a good pedal now.

That explains a lot of things. :doh:
Try and get your bike in operational condition before trying to ride it otherwise you will be spending more time picking it up than enjoying it. :good:

I went out yesterday and after adjusting everything to where it should be it was a dream, night and day! No wobble and with feathering the clutch and break I could almost come to a crall! Wow!!! The only thing that bothers me now is I think the fork clamp is on backward. The full thickness is in the front and ramped side in at the rear. I will try looking at some pictures. Also it is not centered between the forks.

Great to hear that you have made great progress in a short period of time. Keep the shiny side up! :good: