Hesitation and flat spots in throttle

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zman

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was just thinking about aussigold(I think) having trouble with an otherwise great motor having hesitation and all the others I have heard that have the same trouble. I am also remembering shopping for a rebuild kit and seeing that the main jet needles were of varying sizes and tapers depending on the rebuild lit, that is what convinced me to rebuild mine using separate parts and keeping original parts as best I could.
I wonder if these little hesitations and flat spots may be caused by this. I would think any of these old wings at one time or another has had the carbs cracked open and a kit installed, many haven't but I would guess 1/2 has.
Barracuda kits I think were the worse as far as matching the original and If I remember it was keyster that matched the best but even the best wasn't quit the same.
Seems to me it would be hard to tell if a needle is aftermarket if it is of the same metal, would have to inspect close if there are any ways to tell.
Just thinking out loud.

The general consensus in the goldwing community is Honda only is best but it's also conceivable that some aftermarket kits could have been designed to address some not so perfect original design by Honda.
One in particular is a mod to eliminate a flat spot on the 1000 by adding a washer to change the position of the slider needle. As in many aftermarket parts throughout history are put out there to fix a problem, there could be gl1000 needles designed to do the same thing.

Have always had good results from K&L Supply with needle & seats, & float bowel gaskets,(O'rings). As well as all other parts from them, they do a good job!

Many performance kits have adjustable hight needles and jets to match ( up and down on stock sizes). These kits are of a quality that is as good if not better than oem. I can't think of the brands but I have a kit for my CBR which is actually designed for a later CBR929 and seems to work well on my older 1000f. Aussiegold has improved his hesitation by using the washer ( enriching) on his Blue 75

yes, the washer under the head of the needle has helped. another alteration was changing the air jet in the side of the carb, enrichening the mix at idle. this is outlined in one of randikks tips. makes sense, sort of.
Mike Nixon has excellent write ups on the earlier GL carbs. but the first thing to do is make absolutely sure every part of your carb is in top notch nick......... ( i'm getting a headache again ) :shock: :shock: :shock:

Latest posts