hmmmm reflection on ignition

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joedrum

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The obvious ...i never fixed the 77 ignition switches in the system and the loss of spark after running awhile and then complete failure to run... in the run position button out .....putting in the dyna ...putting in the relay ....bypassing ballist with straight wiring 12 volt ....triggering the relay past the kill switch .....allowed proper triggering to relay for everything to work good ....its obvious to me that a dyna hooked up without a relay is a downgrade and still loses lot of fire through switches ....this setup on the 77 is rather top knotch as an oldwing with wasted spark system can get ....dyna ignition and coils is money well spent and a matched set of parts ...no ballist ...and absolutly no concern either about over heating dyna unit with dyna coils ...about as good as it gets for an oldwing...moneywise and biggest boost .....ive got one more relay im going to hook it up to the angry dresser ...im going to go over the ignition ...and see if it comes close to the 77 setup ....im hoping it dose ....but if not ....i want to figure out how to put a dyna in a 1100 .....problem is dyna works at cam speed and 1100s work at crank speed ......it would be great to be able to install dyn ignition and coils to a 1100 ......execution time is what's in play here and of course hotter spark ...this is why the 77 1200 runs so snappy on the throttle ....its not about hp its about getting it done and that makes big HP and torque.

:shock: Yeah...what HE said..... :read:
:smilie_happy:
Sounds like you really like the set-up, Joe. Glad you were able to work all the issues out, and got it to work well. Congrats! Don't stop now! :good:

crank speed is twice as fast as cam ....1100 have one signat rotor dyna has two dan ,,,it seems to me if one could disable one side of the dyna rotor ...you could get it to work

ive looked at this before its not a plug and play but its certaimly not impossible ....all of us pretty much suffer bad ignition ...and no parts ...there a way here im going to find it

Really there is nothing wrong with 1100 ignitions except the coils. Either my neon coil mod or the CBR coils will take care of that problem. The single pulse rotor at crank speed = 2 at cam speed, same thing.

the pic ups in the rear of the motor ive never seen one bad at all ...nah dave this thread is just blab nothing serious here ..the neon and cbr mods are great ...you are proof of that ...ive been messing with goldwings quite some time now and have done many mods ...right now i have a 1200 together that dosnt run like a goldwing ...it runs like a race motor or plane motor ...i know its not all ignition ...but the wiring before would not run the dyna to its full ability ...the stock wiring in 1000 never will deliver that ...im just saying the 1100s suffer from this some im sure ...to many switches and connections for a crisp ignition to happen ...in my gut feeling on it ...no matter what coils are used

Yes, you are correct on the wiring etc. being most of the problem and that is mostly from age. I just got a 1000 to work on today, it was not firing. Some of the problem was the 3-4 points were set wrong and the connection to the 1-2 points was weak where it plugs in with the condenser, a test light would barely glow with the points open. Fixed those 2 things and it has a good strong spark now. Probably can still be improved by cleaning and tightening other connections.
Now to the carbs.

Latest posts