Home made manometer for carb sync

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

backlander

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My project yesterday was this manometer for an upcoming carb sync. It's pretty self explanatory using a scrap piece of peg board, some yellow plastic ties, some used cpap oxygen tubing, two aquariam valves from Walmarts, two plastic t's from the local hardware store. Automatic trans fluid will be used to fill the tubing to approximately 5 inches above the t's and the valves will be inserted in the vacuum lines as close as possible to the pair of carbs on each side. Total cost approximately $10.00
IMG01840-20130310-1458.jpg
IMG01839-20130310-1458.jpg

Just in case....

I made a carb sync tool using hose from my o2 machine because I thought it would be the perfect size, and it was long enough to do whatever I wanted. Then I couldn't figure out why the "thing" wouldn't hold vacuum. I guess it's made to not collapse when in use. Unfortunately, this causes it to not seal when pushed onto the nipple. :head bang:

You can see my problem in the picture.

To the hardware store I went. :builder:

Thanks for the heads up, I went and looked at mine and it has six internal ribs so it looks like I will be headed to the hardware store also. I don't want to fill it with ATV and then have to drain it.

you will need very tiny holes for inlet at the air ends of the tubing. or maybe another set of valves just barely open or the vacuum will pull the ATF into the carbs quick.

I'm going to try to locate something to fab the 5mm vacuum ports tomorrow and also something to fab the orifice tubes. I'm thinking of starting with 1/16 dia. hole. Is that small enough or should it be smaller. I intended to use the valves to also help control that problem. Thanks for your input, slab .

For an orifice, depending on the size of your tubing, you can use a glass fuse, break the glass out of it, use the metal "cap"/end and drill your hole in it, then stick that up into the hose. Instant orifice.

backlander":2oi68ncw said:
I'm thinking of starting with 1/16 dia. hole. Is that small enough or should it be smaller. I intended to use the valves to also help control that problem.
I didn't use any valves. I save the plastic cones from silicon tubes for vacuum plugs. I got 4 of those and cut off the tips and they slid right into the end of the hose. I could shove them in farther, but they won't slide back out. I drilled 1/16" in the point. Easier to drill the hole before I cut them off. If you are going to depend on adjustable valves, I think you're gonna need some way to calibrate them before you can use them.

I just went ahead and bought the 5mm fittings. Set of 4 in a bag about $10 from a local MC shop.
I didn't use ATF, I was using the 4 water bottle trick.

Still trying to find something to use for the vacuum ports, usable 5mm stuff in this small town is nearly non existent. Can't even locate a 5mm die to thread something with. I have the orifices made and they fit the tubing great. Now to just get the port deal worked out. If I have to order them it will be a little while on the video. I have one more place to check tomorrow, the local Kawasaki dealer, their closed on Monday.

Thanks for the idea BigBro. I've been digging around in some of my junk and found some brass tubing, I don't throw nothing away, my kids are trying to get me on that "Hoarding" show. I located a 5mm die about 30 miles from here. So if the Kawasaki dealer doesn't have them vacuum ports I'll probably make the trip to get the die set. Thanks again

Ended up ordering the 5mm vacuum port adapters from dimecitycycles. They should be here in 4/5 days. I think I should have done this to start with, I probably burned enough diesel trying to chase down something to build them out of to pay for them.

Latest posts