Home made tools

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave

Reaction score
Some tools I restyled to make life easy. All require recalc of torque settings.
3/8 open end and 7/16 ring (box) are the right size for 3/8 square drive torque wrench

For valve clearance locknut, cut 10mm ring spanner in half and weld on half a 7/16 spanner allows correct torque to be applied.

For carby sinc looknut, weld 7/16 spanner to 8mm deep (long) 1/4 drive socket and drill hole thru center of socket out to 1/4", allows correct torque while holding adjuster screw.

For exauhst headers, weld 7/16 spanner to 13mm (or whatever) socket, allows torque wrench to be used on rear nuts.

NOTE - YOU MUST RECALC THE TORQUE SETTING OR THESE TOOLS WILL OVER TORQUE AND BREAK STUFF your torque wrench supplier will have info on these calcs

Now you get the idea there are lots more I just havnt needed yet, you should see my Harley tool box :lol:

OK I've repaird the photo thingy
So this is a 8mm socket with 3/8 drive.[GALLERY=media, [img]https://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk257/DeadlySoftail/Rhonda%20the%20Honda/Pic_0208_086.jpg[/img]][/GALLERY]
Look mum, no hands. this makes sync so easy[GALLERY=media, [img]https://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk257/DeadlySoftail/Rhonda%20the%20Honda/Pic_0208_087.jpg[/img]][/GALLERY] And if you want to use a touque wrench [GALLERY=media, [img]https://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk257/DeadlySoftail/Rhonda%20the%20Honda/Pic_0208_088.jpg[/img]][/GALLERY]goto www.norbar.com/calculators to find this stuff but its not hard- eg. my touque wrench is 180mm from center of handle to center of drive, with this dogbone attatchment it is 260mm - so 180 / 260 = .692307ect * touque value eg 6 = 4.15 so the correct setting for my touque wrench is 4.1 to apply 6 of touque on the nut.

I keep a box of the cheap generic tools in the corner. These wrenches are great for bending and making that special tool. A propane torch will heat them enough to bend. Use a wire or old coat hanger to form the necessary bends for a pattern, heat and bend the wrench. If a wrench is ruined during the process, no waste. Twenty dollar piece can be made with a cheap, soft wrench.
After the soft wrench is formed chill in water, it will harden and not likely slip or bend.

vulkan95, Never thought to use gunsmiths tips for bikes but its a good idea. At the end of my gun bench(if I ever find it after wife moved everything into my gun shop) is a box of sand I procured from a beach(mold sand works as does silica sand) nearby. When I weld or bend any metal I bury it in the sand. I make sure it is a dark cherry before putting it in sand and when it cools to touch it is tool hard. If you want to while it is dark cherry flash it with oil(spay coat over whole surface) and then bury it. That gives it a mild case hardening. You can also make springs if you want but I wont go into that since it is off subject. Water cooling makes metal brittle hard.

I once had a blacksmith show me another method to temper hi carbon steel. He quenched it in cold water to harden it. That does make it brittle, but then he buffed it on a wire wheel to make it shiny again. Then he heated it until it became a straw color (Light tan) then stuck it in the ashes (Or Sand would be good too) till it cooled. This is the anneal process which keeps the hardness, but takes away the brittleness.

jm

Latest posts