Horn Quit?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlaskaWing

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was honking fine, then is just not there. When I think back on it, the last time I can remember using the horn there was a moment of sputtery honking then a good honk at the guy that changed lanes right into me. But when I honked today there was nothing.

I checked and all the lights are fine.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=89009#p89009:1iwl8vqn said:
AlaskaWing » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:04 am[/url]":1iwl8vqn]Was honking fine, then is just not there. When I think back on it, the last time I can remember using the horn there was a moment of sputtery honking then a good honk at the guy that changed lanes right into me. But when I honked today there was nothing.

I checked and all the lights are fine.
I took both mine apart and cleaned them. Made a huge difference in how loud they are.

I had to replace mine they were both shot. Easiest way to find out is to put 12 volts directly on them, you will know if they are good. If not then it's your button.

Neither of my horns would work except for a mild hum and one single loud honk. This was after cleaning the switch, cleaning all the connections, checking the fuse...(blown) and connecting direct to 12v. So...with nothing to lose and all to learn, I wrangled them off the bike, out from behind the Vetter brackets :head bang: and took both of the them apart. Inside was a set of points opened and closed by a plunger and a coil. Cleaned the points by dragging oil-soaked 1500 wet&dry sandpaper through them and re-assembled (in reverse order of course).
Now they work fine and the bike passed inspection today. Took it for a 40 mile shakedown cruise and it just kept getting better and smoother.

:clapping: With patience, persistence, knowledge and the correct tools - most things are fixable...you just proved that! Those traits are what allow us to keep 30+ year old bikes running like tops :music:

My horns were also weak and crappy. I fixed them with this...

tuning-chrome.jpg
:mrgreen: :whistling:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=89936#p89936:12pxhb5v said:
AApple » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:51 pm[/url]":12pxhb5v]
My horns were also weak and crappy. I fixed them with this...

tuning-chrome.jpg
:mrgreen: :whistling:

Me too. Now the gang called me "the trucker". :mrgreen:

The horn in question is a WOLO 'Bad Boy' horn....I know, because it's what s mounted on my bike also :clapping:
I ran power direct from the battery and hid the relay under the shelter, then I fabricated a bracket and mounted the horn.
It is a WORD of improvement over the stock anemic horns.....got mine at Pep Boys for $40 or so...

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=89944#p89944:26plak0w said:
mcgovern61 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:18 pm[/url]":26plak0w]
Me three....except I did not get the chrome one. That is the Stebil Nautilus right?

You are cerrekt, Sir! I dint get the chrome one, either...but it looks kewl! Got mine from Aerostitch, about $40. Used a relay, also. It WILL get their attention.... :smilie_happy:

Now I can see the script 'stebil' on the horn. It's the exact same as the WOLO I have - wonder if the two companies are the same....it has to be more than mere coincidence that two companies would make and market the EXACT same product...

and if you haven't gotten one yet - they are, in fact, really loud!

When I first got my bike, one horn worked, one didn't. Took them both apart, oiled everything up with some PB Blaster and put them back together then I opened the switch up and cleaned up the switch. Now the stock horns work like stock horns. :smilie_happy:

I also have a set of Fiamm horns mounted inside the Vetter fairing that give a little extra shout-out if needed.

Latest posts