How to Remove the front top lid off the false tank

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simbaboy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello Friends,
I am having trouble removing the top larger lid off the false gas tank. I got all the bolts off but can't seem to get this off so I can paint it separately.
Thanks all
Simba

I am assuming you have removed all four bolts.Two under the front of the seat,and the two in front behind the lower fairings.
If so I just put my fingers under each side and spread it just slightly apart and lift it up and off over all the elictronics.

Tory":l2w6teu1 said:
I am assuming you have removed all four bolts.Two under the front of the seat,and the two in front behind the lower fairings.
If so I just put my fingers under each side and spread it just slightly apart and lift it up and off over all the elictronics.

I am sorry I did not ask the question properly---I already have the entire false tank off the bike. On the top of this are two further 'covers' to hide the fuel cap and coolant reservoir. I got the bottom top lid off but had trouble for the top lid. The trick was to get the entire rubber seal/?gasket around the false tank and then I was able to get this off as well.

Thanks. I have begun sanding, priming and painting everything except rear fender.

Simba

Oh I remember that top door thingy with the label in it.. , I remember it was a pain to get out my first time too, It's about impossible to explain how to remove that silly thing but I did it, don't force anything, it comes out a certain way just fudge with it and you'll get it out...Not the best advise I know but..don't go get mad at it..It comes out ha ha...I got mine out at least three times now..

littlebeaver":3l97l0z1 said:
Oh I remember that top door thingy with the label in it.. , I remember it was a pain to get out my first time too, It's about impossible to explain how to remove that silly thing but I did it, don't force anything, it comes out a certain way just fudge with it and you'll get it out...Not the best advise I know but..don't go get mad at it..It comes out ha ha...I got mine out at least three times now..

I was gonna force it out. My wife heard me swearing at it---I let her take over. She took the rubber seal off and about a minute later she had it off. It will be a pain to put it back on especially after I have painted it.

Thanks. One last favor for now: I need to put new front and rear turn signals. Please someone provide ideas or ebay/parts store link. I really appreciate everything.

Simba

Front turn signal bulbs are SAE 1034 [12v-3-32cp]....SAE1073 Rear [ 12v-3-32cp] , Tail/Stop light is SAE 1157[12v-3-32cp] and instrument lights are SAE 57 I think these are correct, Clymer says it is for the 1000/1100's Lot's of guy's are going to these LED lights...I haven't yet...

littlebeaver":2gwe6h3q said:
Front turn signal bulbs are SAE 1034 [12v-3-32cp]....SAE1073 Rear [ 12v-3-32cp] , Tail/Stop light is SAE 1157[12v-3-32cp] and instrument lights are SAE 57 I think these are correct, Clymer says it is for the 1000/1100's Lot's of guy's are going to these LED lights...I haven't yet...

Thanks. I need ideas for full assemblies including bulbs. My bike was Interstate model before all the fairing was pulled. Now its naked. Please see picture---the rear turn signals don't work and the front are completely missing.
Thanks
Simba

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 208
check Ebay for motorcycle lighting. Your options are wide open for any signals with stems. Some older front signals were made to clamp on the handlebars if you so desire. Or you can use the stems as headlight bucket bolts. On the rear there is a great spot on the luggage rack to mount some. Look around and get creative.

slabghost":3i6xor9z said:
check Ebay for motorcycle lighting. Your options are wide open for any signals with stems. Some older front signals were made to clamp on the handlebars if you so desire. Or you can use the stems as headlight bucket bolts. On the rear there is a great spot on the luggage rack to mount some. Look around and get creative.

Thanks.
Please look at front and rear. So the stem fitting is for the front turn signals--is there a particular thread size---I have seen on ebay 2 or 3 wire for GL1100: which is the appropriate?
Thanks
Simba

Attachments

• front.JPG
    front.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 200
  • rear.JPG
    rear.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 199
Those are not rear turn signals but rather added on tail/stop.The rears dont work because you dont have them.
Fronts are three wire.Turn and running lights,Rears are two wire,turn only.Other than that they look the same.

simbaboy":2d91cge5 said:
Tory":2d91cge5 said:

I am sorry I did not ask the question properly---I already have the entire false tank off the bike. On the top of this are two further 'covers' to hide the fuel cap and coolant reservoir. I got the bottom top lid off but had trouble for the top lid. The trick was to get the entire rubber seal/?gasket around the false tank and then I was able to get this off as well.

Thanks. I have begun sanding, priming and painting everything except rear fender.

Simba

Sorry,You wrote it right,I read it wrong.

Tory":7hbtqi1t said:
Those are not rear turn signals but rather added on tail/stop.The rears dont work because you dont have them.
Fronts are three wire.Turn and running lights,Rears are two wire,turn only.Other than that they look the same.

Thanks this simple fact gives me direction----I really thought my rear bulbs were burned out that is why the rear turn signals weren't working.

Anybody have ideas where I can mount the rear turn signals? Slabghost--Any images of mounting them to the luggage rack? I searched without results.

Thanks
Simba

I'd pull the seat and see where the wires lead you to..Is the red tail light working now, what is the bulb number on those odd ball bulbs, I have not seen that type of light before..Could the p.o. rigged them to work somehow as turn signals, is my question..

littlebeaver":1bynqcp7 said:
I'd pull the seat and see where the wires lead you to..Is the red tail light working now, what is the bulb number on those odd ball bulbs, I have not seen that type of light before..Could the p.o. rigged them to work somehow as turn signals, is my question..

Thanks,

The red tail light works as a running light and comes brighter with application of rear brakes---no change with front brakes.

I replaced the bulbs on the side lights but nothing. I think there is no power to the side lights. There are no turn signals on this bike at all. That is my next project and also figure out why the tail light dose not brighten with front brakes.

Thanks
Simba

Here is my couple of pennies worth.. Go to Denniskirk.com metricbike section.. they carry tons of signals and stems.. the holes in forks are for reflectors... and the bolt right above the rear brake and it's mate on the other side are about where they mounted on the non fairinged models.. you could also use the last hole where the bags mounted also.. signals for the cb750 models of the same year should work also..

[/quote]might have a bad connection on the handle bar at the brake lever it is either at the back side or just under the handle in a houseing that keeps it there so it is reliesd when the lever is sqweezed you will see it it is that oly wire that goes there two blade connectors.[/quote]
You will find the switch at the paddle of the lever.. it could be out of adjustment.. like what was said.. two wires to blade connectors.. the wires come out in the headlight housing (on original headlight) and in the head weight of the fairing ones... the wires could be disconnected there.. Now on the turn signals the wires should be an solid orange on one side and a solid baby blue on the other side.. orange/white and b.blue/white should be running lights.. and solid green is the grounds... Dan had a wiring diagram for the 1100 posted once...

https://filipi.com/HondaStuff/electric/1 ... ematic.pdf

All of you ARE THE BEST!
Thanks-- I got my work cut out for me. I have installed a 12V ACC outlet to my V-Star for my GPS, etc. So I think I can do this minor electrical work, and I know with your help I will succeed.

The bike is coming along--it runs very well. The timing belts, coolant, all filters, oil change, gear oil were done by my mechanic. This has been a lot of fun. I have the tank cover painted and will install it next weekend. Rear fender may have to wait for a sunny day next week. Forecast is not good for this whole week.

Thanks
Simba

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 72