How to wakeup an old wing???

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnB1953

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello All
I am just getting started on my new winter project. I have a left over 1981 GL1100 that had a Triwing trike kit on it that I bought in 2014. It was a lite roll over with 62000 miles on it. I don't know how long it had sat but the price was right and I bought it. I changed oil and filter added new gas and tried to get it going. It would start then die pop back and just not keep running. After looking into rebuilding carbs, I discovered I could buy a running lower mileage bike for a couple dollars more so that is what I did and continued on with the build. This bike came off and went in the shed. I have decided to go with a single carb build as I also have a VW trike and know these carbs well and what I don't know I have a few friends that are very sharp with VWs in general. I will pull the plugs and see if I can get it to turn over by hand first, then change oil but are there any other things I should look at. Thanks in advance for any and all help. JohnB

Definitely replace the cam belts before running it.

I thought I should take a few minutes and let everyone know how things are going. I have been taking my time trying to get everything as it should be. I changed oil and filter and replaced the belts and checked the valves for starters. On this bike I remembered that the carbs needed help and that is why I just replaced the bike in the first place. I have intended in trying the single carb setup. I understand the PICT 34 carb as I have a vw based trike I have had since 2008. I found a manifold built in the US in Missouri and have a good stock pict 34 and got going on it this week. I thought I was very lucky and found a good video that had what I thought was my manifold being installed on a 81 GL1100. I watched it a couple timed before I got going, and step by step as I began working on it. I got to the part where I had to shorten the cable and that went ok until I tried to assemble it. Long story short it is set up opposite of how mine should be. After an afternoon of research and video watching and noting the differences, I now think I will be able to get it installed this week. Oh well not the first time I have messed up. Later JohnB

Hello All
I am just getting started on my new winter project. I have a left over 1981 GL1100 that had a Triwing trike kit on it that I bought in 2014. It was a lite roll over with 62000 miles on it. I don't know how long it had sat but the price was right and I bought it. I changed oil and filter added new gas and tried to get it going. It would start then die pop back and just not keep running. After looking into rebuilding carbs, I discovered I could buy a running lower mileage bike for a couple dollars more so that is what I did and continued on with the build. This bike came off and went in the shed. I have decided to go with a single carb build as I also have a VW trike and know these carbs well and what I don't know I have a few friends that are very sharp with VWs in general. I will pull the plugs and see if I can get it to turn over by hand first, then change oil but are there any other things I should look at. Thanks in advance for any and all help. JohnB
Ok I have had a little more time to work on the Old Wing I changed belts, checked valves and changed oil and filter. I have the new single carb system on it ready to go. I had an old Pict34 from my VW trike that I had rebuild to like new condition. I put it on as it was on the trike shot a little carb cleaner in to assist in starting and it fired up and idled smooth. sounds good. I know that it will most likely need more tuning later but I am very happy with the progress and results so far. My new question is since this bile was off a trike that was in an accident (slow roll over) and has been sitting since 2014 or longer would I be wise to run some type of oil additive like Marvel Oil in the first running? Thanks for all the help so far and I hope to have more positive results to share with everyone later on. Thanks JohnB

Latest posts