I guess everyone draws the line somewhere

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Five

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found my breaking point tonight. I do most of my own mechanicing, valve adjustments, brakes, oil changes, even top ends on my two strokes, hell I even enjoy it. The Dunlop on the 'Oldwing is shot, so I crack a beer and start to remove the rear tire. I get the left saddle bag off, remove the caliper, take out the axle and start looking...there ain't enough clearance to slide the wheel off of the drive. So, I hop on the webbernet and look up a how to. That's where I drew the line. Screw that noise, I'll pay my local shop for that. I put everything back on and will drop it off in the morning :evil:

Tires sometimes fall on the other side of the line for me. I HATE doing them. The problem is, I hate paying someone else even more.

With my '82 standard and the Hondaline suitcase bags, we can get the back tire off in about 10 minutes. Unlock the key latch and bags pop off. Pull the caliper, pull the cotter pin, remove locknut on axle, remove lock bolt on frame, remove 3 nuts on final drive and with a long pointed punch...knock out the axle. Remove nut from shock absorber and pull it off...the rear wheel drops right out.

Mine wasn't that difficult to remove at all. It took longer to get the bags, and the shocks off than to get the rim/tire off. :builder: Not exactly something I would want to do very often, even at that...

scdmarx":3h3aewgf said:
Omega Man":3h3aewgf said:
What's a "pita?" :read:
It's like a hollow tortilla.
:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

PITA= Pain In The Ass

My next door neighbor owns the shop I get my parts at and if I remember correctly he charges me 1/2 hour of labor ($30) to remove and replace. Well worth that to me.

If I had more to do to it than just a tire, I would do it myself but it just wasn't worth it last night.

i am waiting for a few good days so i can drop the 1500 wing off to have the rear tire replaced and while he has the bags off he may as well change the rear gear oil too. i will not be the one doing the tire change

On my 81 I was able to get the wheel off without removing the final gear drive but I think on the 82' and 83's the final gear needs to be unbolted to remove the wheel.. You'll get it next time.. :yahoo:

I'm back and already thinking outside the box (cant spell square) ((OH yes I can))
Park bike on dirt, but bike on center stand, Dig hole under rear wheel :read:
Never tried it on a Honda but it worked a treat on a Yamaha and a shaft drive Suzuki. :music2:

there is a secret to getting the tire off the 83 without removing the final drive....
its quick and works every time...
just let the air outa the tire.
ofcourse that dont help you get the tire out from under the bike.

if pulling the final drive to remove the tire remember there is a o-ring that fits inside the drive shaft tub. be careful not to damage that, honda doesnt make them and my local shop cant get them.... I went to a o-ring store and bought a close SAE equivalent because my original was damaged from only partially pulling the final out of the way....
the edge that the o-ring slides into was pretty sharp on mine. not any longer, now it has a nice rounded edge :D

It seems like I read somewhere the final drive bolts should be loose when installing the axle bolt tight then tighten the 3 final drive bolts in order to align everything properly.
I looked in the manual but don't see that referenced. Sound familiar to anyone?

I have done it both ways and did not see any appreciable difference when putting the axle back in. On my '82, it appears that the distance between axle center and the connection to the rear is fixed based on the center of the swingarm. If the swingarm were adjusted in any way, then I could see the need to do this.

Getting my rear axle out on the left side was a bit difficult on the 80 Interstate for me. The muffler gets in the way. The bike was on a motorcycle jack and it was difficult getting the swing are up to get the clearance needed to get the axle out. Went back in much easier as I used a ratcheting tie-down from top part of frame to swing arm and pulled swing arm up for clearance. That sure made life easier for me. I loosened up my final drive on mine which helped me get the wheel out and back in. Doing it once is going to make the next time a lot easier for sure.
:heat: