i screwed up

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j.man

Reaction score
not completely realizing that the engine oil ran through the clutch i put engine flush in the motor. long story short the clutch is now slipping. i know i know major rookie mistake. is their any way i can save the clutch or do i just replace it and how do i make sure it all out. i ran it for five minutes then did a oil change. took it for a drive and when i put power to it it would rev....thought bout it for a min and said wtf did i do. if i did replace what all would have to be replaced?

Put a few ounces of atf in the oil and ride it gently or just run it until it's fully warmed. Replace the oil with oil made for wet clutches (motorcycle oil) or oils not marked as mileage extenders or lubricity enhanced. With luck it should be fine.

ok thank you..im glad it didnt do any major damage. first bike and i just learned something new the hard way... thanks

If M/C oil isn't available get diesel rated oil, usually has a truck on the label, says heavy duty Thinking it is CJ rated is what you need.

Check your clutch cable adjustment. There should be a bit of play at the hand lever when fully released. I agree with Dan - flushing shouldn't cause slipping. Hopefully you're OK...

The only reason that flushing the engine out would cause the clutch to slip would be if the clutch was on it's way out already. Wet clutch plates can flake off if they are subjected to water, or certain chemicals that would effect the bond between the friction(paper) and the metal plates the friction material is bonded to. Always check a flush agent to see if it contains any water...some do. Any strong detergent agent CAN cause clutch problems. Hopefully in your case, a refill with the proper engine oil will solve the problem. I know on mine, different engine oils cause different clutch application issue. It might chatter a bit more on take-off with one type of engine oil, or it might slip more on take-off with a different oil. Somewhere in there is a happy medium. :good:

ive adjusted the clutch cable before hand and it grabbed perfect before i did the flush and when i put throttle to it while accelerating the bike had no problems taking off even in 4th. after i did the flush i would accelerate fast and the bike would rev like the clutch was slipping before hand it engaged perfect

rookie here that's why im on here to talk to you guys. it sat for a long time when I got it I and I found out the clutch was froze up after I got it running (thanks to you guys) I got it unfrozen (thanks to you guys) and it was good except having to remove the gas tank and clean it (thanks to you guys) ive only ever worked on older cars before I got this bike and I was thinking that since it sat and the way the oil looked when it came out I wanted to clean it well I didn't completely understand that the clutch lubrication was the engines oil. if I knew then what I know now I would of whent about cleaning it out a whole different way. so I have to give it a oil change run a little atf through it and replace the oil if it still does it replace the clutch? I might just replace it and a few other things while I have the motor dropped out of it for this winter to do some frame work might as well its an old bike probably could use a new stator. I definitely appreciate everyone's help i don't have no one elts to consult with when i have a issue. and im sure there will be a lot more here pretty soon.

You might be surprised what running some atf mised with the oil will do for your clutch. There are revitalizing powers involved. Might not need to change the clutch just yet.

You do want to be careful though if you pull the motor to do one thing... once it is out, the list of things that you will do to it will just keep on growing. :smilie_happy:

Latest posts