idle rpm

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I connected a voltmeter to my battery and it was showing close to 12.? volts at 850-900 rpm. So I turned the ide up untill it was closer to 13 volts. Just above 1000, but not over 1100 rpm warm engine for about 12.8 volts at idle. I do feel a littl "bump" into first gear, but it's not bad.

I've never really paid that much attention to mine, since it's not noticeably high or low, but Imma tinkin it's around 900rpms. I'll check when I fire it up this morn... :eek:k:

Factory idle for the GL1100 is 950 rpm and it is often set at 1050 rpm for the voltage regulator. Joe, don't you have a GL1000? I think they are set a little lower. My buddy has a 76 GL1000 and his idles around 700-750.

I have mine set about 1100 because when I turn a pair of driving lights on it will slow to about 900. ( extra load on the external alternator)

I thought I read somewhere too the 1000 spec is a slower idle. The Clymer manual says 950 for all the 1000 and 1100's.
550 to 650 is pretty slow. I think the oil light would flicker on mine at that speed.

(I just love how easy it is to post pages from the manual using the Gallery)

image.php

ive never had the oil light come on my bike and it purrs like a kitten when idleing but i dont have extra driving lights and the only extra thing ive done is make the back turn signals running lights also

ive never thought about the charging thing that much i guess iwould if was having power problems

thanks for the input

i was thinking somebody out there was running like me but i guess not thanks again

joedrum":ozuit64l said:
ive never had the oil light come on my bike and it purrs like a kitten when idleing but i dont have extra driving lights and the only extra thing ive done is make the back turn signals running lights also

ive never thought about the charging thing that much i guess iwould if was having power problems

thanks for the input

i was thinking somebody out there was running like me but i guess not thanks again

Joe, when I tuned my carbs, the lowest it would go at idle was 650 and then stall. At 650, you can pratically hear each plug fire on mine and the engine seems like it is barely spinning. My oil light comes on at 800 (less than 4 PSI). I am curious if your tach is reading correctly? Again, my buddies 1000 does idle lower.

yeah seems like something up that could very well be iv never checked it against anything else.

with all the mix and match parts ive got im not realy sure about speedo either with 79 speed gear at wheel and 83 wheel and 130-70 tyre but ididnt mess with tach about the only thing i didnt mess with

i will say that when i modified the air box it sure started running good over a broad range of condition and im always mixing 2cycle oil,atf,diesil or something with the gas not all the time but a lot, things we did while farming all old oil got burned up in something never dumped you would think there would be down side but there isnt it realy all good and you sure got your money whorth out of the oil.

i guess someday ill try to see how corect things are on my gauges its hard for me to beleive im running this far off from everybody else

This is something I need to know , glad you guys put this on here , and I Printed the Quick Reference , and I'm gonna Laminate it , Because I know I'll be using that a bunch.

Joe, if I get a chance this weekend I will take a video of my engine running as far down as I can go to 650. Maybe if you hear it you will be able to tell how fast yours is running.

Here is a video at 850-900.

Joe, here is my '83 engine after warm up turned down to 550-600 rpm. As you can see the oil pressure light comes on and the engine is just barely running. Hope this helps!

dan filipi":made149a said:
Mine sounds about like that too.

Jerry, what's that other gauge for you have there on the left side of the fairing?

That is a voltmeter that I installed last week. I have not replaced my battery yet and I have been watching my voltages since I found out that it is running over 15 volts at 4000 rpm. The battery recharged since I put water in it and it is holding. But it is wild watching the voltage run from 11.5 at idle with the fan on up to 15.6 at 4k rpm. On the Saunders site, they say 15.2 is normal. The manuals also listed 15 as normal on the high end. I always thought 14.6 was the highest a 12 volt battery should ever be charged to, but I gues I was wrong. The regulator does not get hot and the wires are ok, sooo, I guess it is ok.

well i think my tack is right but after all the posts and jerry video with the light flickering im going to bump my idle up to where everybody else is at no sense playing around with that kind of oil pressure . thanks guys

Hi guys Thought I'd chime in to my 83 is running at 950 -1100+- and then the light comes at any slower... :lol: That is before last week end the stator finally bit the dust so I'll be tearing the beast apart. :cry: :Awe:

Latest posts