Ignition Control Module (ICU) - Carb Model GWs

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rednaxs60

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have read some forum threads about the demise of a 1200 ignition control module (ICU)., others as well. These are good units, but can be easily damaged and become unserviceable. These are available on the used market, not too expensive, but still some 38 years old or better. Even if working well, lifespan is limited.

What is available to the DIY back yard mechanic, not much. This scenario is almost like the ECU on an '85/'86 fuel injected model. Boat anchor or a lawn ornament comes to mind.

As with the infomercials in the wee hours of the morning, but wait, there's more.

I would like to submit that there may be a good alternative based on the Speeduino Project using a Speeduino NO2C interface board with an Arduino Mega 2560 microprocessor.

There are many examples where these units are used for ignition control, or fuel control only, or both (this is a full EFI conversion).

I put together a document regarding this for perusal and discussion. Thinking there may be more info regarding a project like this, but this is a start.

Enjoy the read, let me know what you think.

Cheers

Attachments

• Ignition Control Unit Replacement 5 Jun 2023.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
A while back i saw somewhere where someone used gm 4 pin modules on a kawasaki of some kind

Latest posts