I'm back with a new PVC intake

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=172119#p172119:2wpi23dq said:
dan filipi » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:56 pm[/url]":2wpi23dq]
What does it seem like, too rich or too lean?

I can't tell. The last time I tried to set up a carb Jimmy Carter was in office. It will only run on full choke and some throttle. It sounds fantastic at 4-5000 but stumbles and cuts off pretty suddenly as soon as it dips below maybe 2700. The screws are set at the 2.5 turns out as suggested on a warm VW Beetle. Maybe since this is not a real Solex but a copy, those settings aren't right. I'll try moving them out 1/2 turn at a time and see what that does.

I'm curious what you all think of the look. The bike will have no chrome when I'm done. I'm going for a military-industrial sort of look and the plumbing fits right in with what I'm going for. Better than I expected.

I like the look a lot. Color came out nice.

The way it's running, 2 possibilities if air fuel related....either a bad air leak but it seems like you ruled that out, or it's not getting enough gas. Not much else it can be.

I've thought about using that hammered charcoal on my whole motor, still not sure.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Hook up all power to carb, choke and solenoid. Start from scratch, adjust choke settings by the book...next use initial adjustment for the two adjustment screws. Should dial in from there.

Okay I sits here keerected. But maybe I wuz right that it is a problem with the cutoff valve just that it isn't connected when it should be. I do get bass akwards at times.

"It's acting like it's not getting gas, hmmmm..."
Remove fuel line and crank to see if the carb is getting gas- no.
The tank is nearly empty, so flip petcock to "reserve".

See if anti-dieseling solenoid is working.- no.
Reattach the ground wire to the carb that I forgot about.

Crank it and
[video]https://youtu.be/Cf8JHQ5-MUY[/video]
:music: :music: :music: :music:

I fiddled with the adjustments and got to about 1500. The bounce in the tach is probably just the cable. Needs lube. I can dial it in now. I've done it! PS the manifold is very cool to the touch. Maybe cooler than outside air.

Manifold should be cool to the touch. Yessir it appears you have done it. Carb noise will dampen quite a bit with air filter in place. Enclosed filter housing quiet it best. Finish dialing in your adjustments with air filter installed.

I did have to open the idle adjustment screws quite a bit to get it to run without the choke. Once it warmed up I turned the large one in and the rpm came down. The recommended 2.5 turns out starting point for a real Solex was nowhere near enough for this knock-off. I have a few details to chase like the electrical gremlin that's keeping the fan from coming on but I'm highly motivated to track that down now. When I get that it will be able to go for a very short road test. I don't even know if the brakes work properly. I've never ridden it. It wasn't running when I brought it home. I expect a few other issues to come up but nothing major. Then I can get on with making it look like I want it!