I'm back with a new PVC intake

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuck c

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi gang, long time no see! I'm just warning you that I have a new design and new parts. I learned important stuff from the first one. I couldn't get it to run above idle. I don't think it was the carb setup was the problem, it was the much too restrictive manifold. While it can idle with that much restriction, that's probably why I couldn't get it to go any faster.

Also, while the PVC appears to be able to take the environment, that cement doesn't. It wasn't made for the heat, extreme cold of sitting in the garage in winter, support the weight of the carb, and vibration. I have a plan for that too- don't use PVC pipe cement. It needs to have more give and be made for automotive/motorcycle use.

I'm sure I've cured the restriction problem. It will still meet the goal of costing about $100 (the Mikuni intake boots are $80 of that) and be makeable with tools most people have access to.

I should have a mock-up to show in a few days.

I used seal-all to seal the joints on my manifold.seems to hold up pretty good

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

That permatex stuff looks good too

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Here's a preview.

Attachments

• Assem22.JPG
    Assem22.JPG
    167 KB · Views: 918
The straights aren't cut to the right length yet so it looks odd, but these will show the idea.
There's really no way this won't look like it's made of pvc fittings.

Attachments

• 20160321_180150[1].jpg
    20160321_180150[1].jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 899
  • 20160321_180132[1].jpg
    20160321_180132[1].jpg
    66 KB · Views: 900
  • 20160321_180118[1].jpg
    20160321_180118[1].jpg
    89 KB · Views: 893
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=170277#p170277:wrgndk9g said:
dan filipi » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:43 pm[/url]":wrgndk9g]
That sure looks cool. Good idea for a steel intake.

It would look a whole lot better in steel with the nice smooth exterior for sure! You can buy prebent steel tube and make this except for that center manifold. That would be a bit of work to fab. Doable but not easy. Now if I really like the way it actually runs, then it might be worth the investment to make it in steel.

I know a custom tube bending and fab shop that could make that easily but I'm betting it's at least $400 job. But the plus side is they could include the 4 straight runners and a welded steel flange for the carb in all one piece, where I will have to futz and cobble the carb mount out of what I can scrounge and make do.

who knows really ..but there are some good pvc setups now like the DKL set up you have seem his havnt you ....hes got both his bike done ....and the vw carb he has dial in seems easy ...but i also like your drawing also ..looks to me it be first pvc manifold that dosnt used stock intake horns

Since there is no acetone in gas normally it should last indefinitely. Being pvc it will suffer more from uv light damage unless it's painted.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=170308#p170308:jfoz0wmz said:
slabghost » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:55 pm[/url]":jfoz0wmz]
Since there is no acetone in gas normally it should last indefinitely. Being pvc it will suffer more from uv light damage unless it's painted.
+1 on the UV

I made a thing. That pattern should look familiar to most people here.
Today with a bit of help I made a template of the GL1100 port locations to make building manifolds easier. I expect to use it more than once but for even making one manifold I think it's worth it.

It's 1/16" steel. The small holes are to screw it down to something solid. The holes in the center shows..... the center. I suspect the holes for the intake horns are close to but not 45 deg. so I slotted them slightly. With this I can set them in place and accurately measure the angle so if I make another template I can just put holes.

Attachments

• 20160324_162427[1].jpg
    20160324_162427[1].jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 258