I'm gonna bet this is a routine error...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldhack62

Reaction score
...that is: 1) covered elsewhere on this forum; and 2) repeated often anyway.
I checked and adjusted valve clearances on my '83 GL1100 Interstate last week, and noted mild throttle improvement, but little else.
Thus, while draining the oil during an oil/filter change a couple of days ago, I went ahead and pulled the valve covers and re-checked the gaps, realizing I hadn't made sure that the next-larger gauge would NOT traverse the gap set in each case (.004-in. for intake, .005-in. for exhaust). Sure enough, in about half of cases, the respective .005-inch or .006-inch gauge fit in the interval, too. In other words, I'd gapped them too wide. I fixed that.
Today, I measured c. 50 mpg on my current fuel refill (I'd been getting c. 42 mpg). The engine simply sounds better, and the throttle response is fluid and easy. I can even manage to coordinate throttle/clutch to eliminate the low-rev rattle upon flat-start takeoff most of the time (and I'm probably at fault the other times).
We'll see if this lasts, or is an aberration -- but I doubt it's coincidental. Shoulda happened before now, you'd think, if it's random.
Anyway, when checking and setting valve clearances, double- and triple-check (even after tightening the lock not) that the clearance is good for your desired gap, but not the next bigger one! If you don't, chance are some of your gaps will be too wide (which is certainly better than too narrow, but NOT optimum!).

dosent sound like you have any big problems ....and thats great gas milage ...better than i get ...i thought i was getting 52 mpg till i relized i made a simple math mistake and was realy getting about 42 mpg on my new to me 1100.....

That is great mileage!

Reminds me I haven't checked the valve clearance in 20k miles or so, probably about time I should.
I usually don't try the next larger size, I definitely will this time.

:read: :read: :rtfm: If the feeler gaudge "drags" after you tighten the locknut you have done it right but you will still be able to "force" the next size up into the gap and if you try hard enough you could even fit a 1/4 inch bar in there, of course this would be holding the valve open :swoon:
Having said that I think you did a good thing rechecking your work Tim :good: Next you might try a carb sync, after all if you get that much from a valve set there's usually more to come :cool:

(after only 7 beers and 6 edits :head bang: , I have now finnished this reply) :smilie_happy:

I did a valve adjustment yesterday following Roady's tutorial. Found some slight adjustment needed.

I would say the toughest part with valve adjustment is keeping the center adjuster from turning while tightening the locknut.
I usually make the feeler slightly loose, snug the locknut, recheck with feeler and adjust then lock it down tight and recheck.
Takes a bit of practice.
Fortunately these engines don't need adjustment very often.

dan filipi":1auf7osj said:
I did a valve adjustment yesterday following Roady's tutorial. Found some slight adjustment needed.

I would say the toughest part with valve adjustment is keeping the center adjuster from turning while tightening the locknut.

Thats where you need my "homemade" spanner as seen in the "tips' section Dan and the screw driver used in that photo has also been "Dave'd to be a perfect (snug) fit also :grin:

Oh look, here it is again
Pic_0208_087.jpg
:salute:

I find that just holding a screw driver in the slot with slight back pressure while I do the finally tightening of the nut on the valve keeps the bolt from moving..no need for the socket. Still it does take a few tries to get good at it.