Installing Fork springs :(

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldCrow

Reaction score
My Bike Models
GL1200A, R100RT, KL650
Hello, I'm working on a 1987 GL1200A. I've installed a sidecar and after some miles decided I needed more spring pressure up front. I'm older and weigh 140lbs. I remember last time I rebuilt the forks, I literally had my wife on the bike leaning against my back and shoulder to get enough weight to get the cap screwed back in. Well I want to add a 1" spacer, I see problems. Last time it was a circus. Any thoughts on a better method? I'd like not to remove the forks to take to a shop but....
Thanks
OC

Thanks Mike, I did find that tool in my searches. Those still require pulling the forks which I was hoping not to remove. In the end I didn’t discover a tool or a tool I could built to help with the forks in place . So I went down the make my own tool route.

This basic design I found over on GoldwingDocs. It was easy enough for my skill level to build. My one notable issue was that I could not find a 1-5/8” Speedbor locally and my largest was a 1-1/2” so I used a 1-5/8” hole saw. The hole saw can only cut about 1/4” depth or so before the hole needed to be cleared. So the hole saw was much slower. The rods are 3/8”-16tpi with fender washers.

The tool works great, much less dangerous than perched atop the bike with my wife bracing. After the initial fiddling around and learning with the left fork, on the right fork I had the cap off, spacer installed and cap back on in maybe 10 minutes. This is a tool that earned space in the shed. It cost under $10 in hardware and I had the PT 2x4 cut-offs.

Oh and one more detail, the 1-5/8” speedbor or hole saw cuts a diameter of at least 1.625” or 41.275mm. So the 41mm fork tube is held in place but moderate pressure can push it out of the clamping 2x4s. I added a marine hose clamp, from my collection, around the fork tube and it added enough resistance to the spring force.

IMG_0804.jpg
IMG_0805.jpg

Last edited:
Backyard engineering....that's what we do! Excellent solution!! (y)