Intercom question

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scdmarx

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1982 Standard
How can I tell if the intercom system works on my new 83 Interstate? The radio works and the tape player works and there is a plug that I assume is for the intercom with a wired push button in the passenger area. But if I wanted to buy the helmet sets, how do I know that it's gonna work? And what sets should I be looking at? Price range? Should I just walk into the motorcycle store and see what they start pushing at me?

Timing belts & tensioners, and new tires are my first priorities, so it's not like I'm gonna run out and buy this accessory today. There's plenty of time to shop around.

dan filipi":3bky2xef said:
Clarion manuals

Get good quality head sets. Nothing worse than tinny crappy sound in the ears.

Timing belts yes, no need to replace the tensioners if they roll smooth.

I understand, and that's probably how I would avise someone else due to the low miles. But I really just want to know there are new tensioners in there. Sometimes I'm just stupid that way. ;)

Look what I found in the trunk!
crw0013.jpg

There are two helmets and the paint matches the bike. They look kinda rough. I plugged the wire in and everything works except the volume control on the left handlebar. The helmet innards are coming apart. Know where I can buy new stuffing? Or would it be possible to move this to another helmet? The passenger helmet (size small) has none of this stuff in it. I want to be able to comunicate with the passenger.

Check the other crannies, might find more goodies!

Most helmets don't come with headsets, they have to be installed.
The set you have there should pull right out, prolly has velcro holding the speakers in. Install the same way these were.
A popsicle stick helps to shove the wire in under the helmet trim pieces.

All this makes me want to get the stock CB system I have working.

Those headsets should also work with the radio and CB, on mine the extention cords aren't interchangble from front to back, so try the one you have at both locations to see if it will work at both front and back. If not and you want to run two, you will have to shop for the headset that your present one won't work in.

Ok, I see the CB passenger switch below the trunk on the left side, but I don't see where the passenger set would plug in. I'm not finding it in the manual or on the bike. I'm assuming if there is a switch the should be a plug. But where would they hide it? Because there is no set in the passenger helmet, would they have left out the plug? "And", is it gonna be next to impossible to find the right stuff to plug into it?

Also a question about the antenna, looking at the pdf linked earlier, is the antenna distributor there to make everything work off just the one antenna?

Make sure the mute button is not engaged at the handle bar. I rode for two hours pissed off that something had broken only to realize when I pulled in to my driveway that the mute button was engaged. If it is not that, it may just be corroded in the switch. If you decide to take it apart to clean it, do it over a bowl or something. There is a spring and a ball bearing in the switch that love to escape.

And, Ross is correct on the "Y" cable. But, before you decide you do not have one, look around where you plug in your headset. Mine had the Y cable but no extension. It may be that on yours the second connection is hiding in the fairing. If you have the push to talk button wired for the passenger, I can't imagine that you do not have the Y cable.

I see the installation manuals, but no operator manual that tells you what all the buttons are for. I was wondering how to reset the clock. Is it as complicated as a VCR? *12:00* *12:00* *12:00*....

The instructions for the radio are in the owners manual if you have one. the instrucions for radio and every thing else are in their own manuel. I think there is a radio manuel for sale on ebay.

fastmover83":24y519hm said:
The instructions for the radio are in the owners manual if you have one. the instrucions for radio and every thing else are in their own manuel. I think there is a radio manuel for sale on ebay.

We also have the Owners Manuals in the same place as the Clarion manuals.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=14

If you take the seat off you may find the passenger headset plug tucked underneath it. The Hondaline headsets, just like the J&M headsets can be moved from one helmet to another.

dan filipi":1swhwuph said:
fastmover83 sent me the Owners manual for the audio system.
I'll be scanning it in this weekend and post it when done.

Information you need when you need it.

Where else can you get chicken at a fish place?
I LOVE IT HERE! :yahoo:

Latest posts