intercom static throug head sets

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjones0187

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has successfully installed a filter through the radio or intercom to get rid of the whine through the headsets caused by the charging system. I have a couple extra filters which came with a CB kit for an 1800 thinking of trying to connect one through the radio power input, which seems to be causing the problem, I guess these bikes originally had a filter built into the distribution box and it eventually burned out?

Not sure about the filter... recheck your grounds.. there should be 2 points of connection.. one under the fairing pocket for the fairing and the other under the seat/false tank area everything should tie in at these points to prevent ground looping the bike..

I have been through all the grounds and even added a couple still no luck, I also added a noise filter at the main power feed to the faring still no luck, if I turn the radio off it takes care of the problem but I like listening to my radio. the stator seems to be feeding through the radio somehow creating the whine which increase with RPM's through my headset. if anyone has any ideas let me know!!

Is it whining in both AM and FM or just AM? It should not whine in FM unless the antenna does not have a good ground and a clean antenna connection. I have yet to be able to stop whining in AM.

I havent tried the AM just FM, but I think the noise is coming through the radio power supply from the charging system or ignition on the bike because the noise increases with RPM and gets louder once the battery voltage increases, antenna is grounded good CB works good and radio gets good signal. as far as resistor plugs the bike has new OEM style NGK plugs and wires. if you turn off the radio and turn on the intercom I get noise their too. but if I turn the radio and intercom off and just have the CB on the noise goes away and the headset is quiet and of course the CB transmits clear.

Whenever I have installed a radio on a bike I've used shielded antenna cable for the power supply wire, ran directly from the battery and have not even gone through the bikes ignition system. That eleminates the field static, I'm not sure you could do that on a factory Goldwing radio though.

you are running one antenna for radio and cb??? and does the power come from same exact spot on source??? if so then the problem may be in the amplifier and/or it's power circuit.. on mine it is a separate unit..

yeah the CB and radio are on the same antenna, I never though about the amplifier causing the noise, not sure how to go about fixing that problem, their is some noise through headset while the bike isn't running which I think is being caused by amp or radio, but the real whine and noise through the headset that I would most like to fix is the noise while the bike is running and it increases with RPM most likely due to the stator or ignition system feeding through the bikes electrical system, I just don't know what to do to suppress the noise.

One more thing I found out if I put a battery draining load against the electrical system the noise almost completely goes away, like hooking up a pair of 100w spot lights for instance, so that enforces the idea that the whine is being caused by the bikes charging system, I just cant figure out how to suppress the problem.

Latest posts