Intro and a GL1000K2

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lmg

Reaction score
Hi, im Leigh (LMG) from the UK, and I have just picked up a 1978 GL1000K2 Goldwing as my winter project to put it back to stock.

Everything I have seen on this board so far suggests this is a GL1100 forum - is this the case?

no there lots of 1000 bikes here ...ive got a 77 ive been restoring its up and running ....there a lot of 1100s here though and it was kinda started that way but the two bikes are simular and we have many 1000 things going on the teck section is full of 1000 stuff

welocome to CGW

thanks for the welcome - I will go and have a look-see now :wave:

This is what it currently looks like...

$(KGrHqJ,!mIE5YJr7RRwBOcPtndjW!~~60_12.JPG

The Winter project is to strip it down, sort out any problems (its currently only running on 3 of the 4 cylinders), get all the body work/panniers/fairing repainted to black with a gold pinstripe, and get it rebuilt back up.

Welcome aboard! The 1000 and 1100 bikes share a lot in mechanics and many parts interchange. Nice looking bike. A lot of things possible there.

Welcome :hi: Good stuff on the 1000's here, plenty of good wrench's here to try and help also if they can't help ya they can usually send you in the right direction for :help:

Welcome to the CGW Forums, Leigh!!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
I was gonna say the front wheel looked like it wasn't stock for a '78. It's a sweet ride, tho! :good: That trunk mount looks interesting, too.... :yes:

joedrum":1gkqxp2o said:
looks like a 75-77 bike in the pics with lester wheels on front anyway...cant see the back good wheels....nice bike :mrgreen:
Welcome From Wausau Wi. I have to agree it does look like a 75 to 77 the giveaway is the painted tool kit lid. Looks like the gas gauge in there The 78 would have a leatherlike finish there. I don't see the row of 3 gauges ahead of it. Hard to tell by the pic. Nice Bike!!
I have a 78 GL1000
Good luck in getting her going!! :good: