is it stretched?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slabghost

Reaction score
I've read recently of cables possibly stretching. My clutch cable on my 80 snapped recently. My bad I never thought to lube it. So I removed the cable from my 81 and noticed it was incorrectly mounted to the holder near the clutch cover. I installed it on my 80 and ran out of adjustment on the cable. Clutch was still partly engaged. So I break out the fine manual and find there is also a "lifter" adjustment. At the center of the clutch cover there is a screw in cap that I removed. Inside is found an adjuster much like the ones on the valves. Loosen the 10mm nut. Tighten the set screw with flat blade screwdriver and tighten the locknut. I may not have tightened it quite as much as I should but the cable is now adjustable and the clutch fully releases. I hope this helps. Lifter adjustment on other models I'm sure is different but 80-81 models have the convenient little cap. It is however hard to reach.

You should back off the cable adjustment(s), then adjust the center bolt. Run the bolt down until it touches the clutch center then back it off 1/4 turn then tighten the lock nut. Adjust the free-play at the clutch lever with the cable adjuster. Adjusting it in this way gives the lightest pull at the handlebar lever to operate the clutch.

Latest posts