Is it worth $500 and a 1400 mile round trip?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom_Charlton

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1984 GL1200I
1988 GL1500
86 Aspencade near Panama City Fl.

Attachments

• Console86A.JPG
    Console86A.JPG
    18.7 KB · Views: 382
  • Instruments86A.JPG
    Instruments86A.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 379
  • LeftEngine86A.JPG
    LeftEngine86A.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 378
  • Leftfront86A.JPG
    Leftfront86A.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 380
  • Sideview86A.JPG
    Sideview86A.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 375
Looks neglected but pretty much complete. As an investment for resale- no. As parts to sell on ebay - yes. As a project for a personal rider? I'd say yes but that's a personal call really.

For me, it wouldn't be
It could be for you and others.
Keep in mind pictures sometimes tend to camoflage and even enhance actual condition.
They certainly did on my project bike.
Be prepared for surprises when you tear into it.
Good luck with you decision.

I wouldn't, If it were kept inside a shed and looked decent maybe I would but there are a bunch of cosmetic as well as whatever the motor and carbs need.

Joe;

It's about 300 miles one-way from your town, otherwise, I would ask you to run over and look at it for me. However, if you just want to look at it, I'll pay for your gas.

I'm looking for a run-down but complete Gl1200 to convert into a trike. I'm mainly concerned with the motor condition because I don't want to deal with a broken engine. There is no battery on the bike.

I don't want to pass up a good deal on an 86A because it looks neglected, but I also don't want to buy something that I would have to part out to get my money back. I already have an 84I for a parts bike.

Tom

Probably enough there to be worth the price after trying to get it for less, $350 might buy it. :headscratch: The 1400 mile trip would be the killer of the deal for me, :nea: gas milage pulling a trailer, on a vehicle big enough easily to pull it, would be a BIG part of total price! :head bang: :salute:

My truck gets around 20mpg pulling the cycle trailer. I figured gas costs around $160 for the trip, so we're on the same page, or have you been looking over my shoulder?? :laptop: :shock:

Great minds think along the same lines :smilie_happy: $500 to buy, & transport, for a bike that has a good motor & drive train, is not a bad deal. Could always strip & go naked, 1200 standards are hard to come by, & aspencades are equipped with ALL the extras except F I. Real nice if didn't take too much to put right, & have a nice bike either way. :yes:

To cap it off: I'll keep looking.

It's only the end of October and bike prices will continue to decline as winter sets in.
I don't know why it was parked originally.
Salt water is hard on metal.

Thanks to all for your comments.

Tom