It isn't always the cager's fault...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldhack62

Reaction score
...or, telling a tale on myself.
I screwed up. Exactly how it happened may never be known, as it certainly wasn't deliberate! But, I wrecked my '83 Interstate yesterday when I turned in front of an oncoming vehicle I just didn't see.
Making a low-speed left turn into a restaurant parking lot I checked, as usual, all four directions visually. Unfortunately, I responded by banking into my turn before I'd rechecked my first direction, which was my path of ingress. Fortunately, I immediately recognized my fatal (not literal, thank the Lord!) error, and managed to straighten up the bike before I wound up underneath the oncoming car (which I suspect -- may never know, as I have no taste to call her up and ask -- was leaving the lot I was entering without first stopping). Instead, I hit it front-tire first on her left quarter panel, the bike bounced sideways and landed at about a right angle to the front of the car, and I landed in between. Alas, my forehead (3/4 helmet, with the face guard up) apparently hit the edge of my windshield, and I took 40+ stitches. Lucky, frankly, under the circumstances, that that was the extend of bodily damage.
I'm sore today, but my pride and the bike suffered greater damage than I did -- although the solid, ol' Goldwing probably also saved my life!
The bike probably can be repaired, but I'm not sure I'm the mechanic for the job. The front fork brace is broken, as are many internal (facing the rider) parts of the front fairing. When I get it home from impound, I'll try to determine whether or not the fork itself is damaged (wouldn't surprise me, but it isn't obvious, from cursory inspection) -- if so, this is a salvage job only. But, even if it's reparable, it likely would take me so long that my insurance renewal will come due, and I suspect an at-fault accident will price me out of riding. Thus, this likely is now a parts bike.
The 1100 engine was running as good as it ever had. The carbs are sweet (rebuilt and sync-ed by professional PO last winter). The rear luggage is intact.
I'll let y'all know what I'm gonna do when I know -- but, I'm probably now a former rider. While I have no qualms about climbing back into the saddle, I suspect I'm not going to want to afford the insurance, or a new bike. We'll see -- but, that's probably an entirely different issue than the final disposition of this motorcycle.
The good news is that I'm okay -- I'll heal, and learn from the experience. Humility and care will be permanent lessons, as well as concepts of assumed and calculated risks.
Error -- whether driver or rider -- hurts, and I don't want to hit the pavement again! But, I've enjoyed the riding. I don't know yet where the twain shall meet.
Please, wish me luck.

I'm really sorry to hear about your incident and wish you a fast recovery from the injuries...
I have no idea who your insured through, but most will let the first accident slide without the radical increase in premium..
I don't know how much experience you have had, but most riders have an accident as part of our educational process.
I totaled my first bike at 16 years old and I gained some serious insight into the car/motorcycle relationship.
If you continue riding you will forever see that relationship differently..

As long as the frame is not bent everything else is replaceable. The repair process brings you into an intimate relationship with your bike. Don't be too quick to give up..

tim im sorry to hear this...but glad that you are okay except for the sewing job .....i guess your insurance rates could go up alot in some states ... if you do decide to get rid of your bike and dont want to ride any more i would like to look in to getting the bike as im going to set up a place to keep these wings going and live in a place where zoning and other crap dont exist .....i would much rather you bounce back and ride but if not i will fix it and ride it ... im so glad you didnt get hurt ....

I have read and re-read your post Tim because I need to convert it to 'left hand drive' for my brain to process it. It would appear you may well be a classic case of being so carefull that you ended up still being there when maybe you should have allready left.
Important thing here is that your still around to tell us about it.
Dont be to hasty to get rid of the bike, if the forks are curved but not 'kinked' they will staighten up just fine and I have seen a lotta blokes 'quit' bikes for good after a big scare only to find out they have quit bikes because they sold the only one they had.

Hate to hear about the boo-boo, but certainly happy to hear your damages(you and the bike) weren't any worse! Sometimes we all have a small lapse of judgment....it can happen to anyone. Take care of yerself first, then worry about the scoot. Bikes can be replaced/repaired...it's a little harder to do on humans!
Get well soon, and good luck with all! :eek:k:

Glad to hear your OK!!

I agree with the others get back on the saddle, but judging by your recent post about the concern of the bike "failing" I don't think your heart is or has been in it.

Take care my friend. Do what you feel is right.

Oldhack,
I took a hard hit back in 1990 and it kept me away from bikes for too long.
actually I wasnt afraid of riding, but at the time I had 2 young kids and a failing marrage.
so I got out of it.
one of my riding friends came to see me in the hospital, and told me he was out also.
in the same predicament with kids he couldnt see being hurt or worse as a safe option.
he sold 2 bikes and eventually moved away.

now I know this all sounds bad.
BUT, there is a silver lining to this dark cloud.

after recuperating, I decided to get rid of the wife(the single best decision I'v ever made), and raise my own kids.
I bought a house with the insurance money, and started a new business at home.
eventually finding another wife, and haveing 1 more kid.
now all 3 kids are grown, 2 are out on there own.
with a new wife(who is also my best friend) and a renewed interest I'm back rideing.

I rode bikes, and worked on them. but it took me 16+ years before I decided I wanted to own another.
and it just so happend a old friend of mine needed some money, and asked me to come look at a car he had to sell...
as we walked through the garage we walked by this old wing, all piled up. :grin:

I believe in a higher power, and I believe things happen for a reason.
think it through buddy, and make the best decision for you.

And I can tell you from experience, goldwing riders are some of the nicest people you'll ever find.
either way I'm sure you'll always have a place here at CGW.

Tim,

I am really sorry to hear about your accident. I pray that you will heal quickly! That is a scarey place to be put into. Whatever decision you make, we are here to help and support you!
Gerry

Hi Tim,Im glad your ok. sorry to hear about the accident. but please dont be to harsh on your salf.Ive been there.best of luck to you.

Thanks, all, for the supportive words.
The hauler delivered the bike home this morning, and I still don't see anything obviously broken/mangled on the forks other than the broken brace -- but it may be until I get the front fairing torn off that I can examine it thoroughly. Financially and mechanically, that's probably the make-or-break item for me regarding either pulling the bike apart (or offering it to Joe -- thanks!), or putting it back together.
The front fairing likely is shot -- but even that is uncertain. I'm not exactly sure what repair can be done on fiber-based cracking. Nothing fell off. The left/rear pannier cover also suffered a break, but didn't separate.
It hasn't dropped any fluids, either at the accident scene or since. The engine guards appear pushed back slightly, but I think even the timing covers escaped a direct hit. Ditto the radiator -- the rock mesh is indented, but not pushed into the radiator grill.
So, my immediate plan is to recharge the battery (ignition was left in the 'on' position), and test the engine when possible; take some pix; start tearing off broken and bent pieces, primarily off the front. Cycle therapy, I guess.
Dan, you're half right: I wasn't invested in this when I started, having stayed off of bikes all my adult life because I considered them unsafe. (My concern over this bike's reliability simply was/is honest ignorance of them.) But, other than Tuesday's epsode, I've found it exhilarating. I'd have no qualms about climbing back in the saddle (as soon as my forehead heals enough to accept the helmet) and taking off. But, I've spent probably more than I really could afford on this venture so far, and to date I can't classify it as anything but a failure. I'm out the money forever, have just added medical and (likely) insurance costs now, and have nothing to ride. That said, failure isn't something I accept lightly, and am stubborn enough that that alone might drive me to at least attempt a successful rebuild, even if just to later sell.
I probably need to just step back and not make any decisions until I'm both healed and certain of the motorcycle's condition.
So, let me grab the camera and toolbox, and apply them to my injuries...
Again, thanks.

https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/gallery/image_page.php?album_id=277&image_id=4328
As feared, you can see here that the forks are bent backward at the triple tree. I'm assuming that makes them unusable, but I don't know. Does it?
Aside from that, I'll have to rebuild the front end into a 'standard', because the fairing is shot (aside from the fact I'm not at all sure I could reinstall it correctly. Getting if off was chore enough!).
Finally, though, some good news: after recharging the battery (which was dead after the key was left in the 'on' position), it started up on about the third turn, and idled/ran normally for 10 minutes or so, up to operating temp (the gauges and tach also worked), where it held. So, I anticipate no problem with engine, coolant, etc., whether for me or anyone I pass the remnants on to.
More pictures are here, in the Gallery:
https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/gallery/album.php?album_id=277
All in all, I'm lucky that me and the machine are still alive. That's enough to be grateful for.

that was a pretty big hit all anybody wants to go through .....i know you got to be sore ..... :shock:

yeah the forks are pretty much done and the fairing and stuff would take a lot of work to fix and paint ....going standard would be the best option for this bike on a timely fix .....the fairing and stuff would take some time and would only be whorth it to someone who was going to use it to justify the time it would take ...

OLDHACK,Sorry to here about your accident,but clad to here you are OK.

I know laws differ in each state,but in michigan liabilty in a car/bike crash is always on the car reguardless of fault.Meaning,even though you are at fault,the car insurance should pay youre medical.But MI is also a no fault state,and any vehicle incurred accident the auto insurance pays second to medical.

Not to get off track,but with my wife in an auto accident last october,in a car that was not ours,in a differant state incurred a half mill in medical bills so far,and counting.My auto insurance not only picks up what my crappy health insurance dont,but they also pay her lost wages,home care,and anything else she needs.And with "accident forgivness" my rates didnt go up.

Auto insurance in MI isnt the cheapest,but its worth every dime.

Check your laws,you may beable to get relief from there auto insurance.

Gosh ...........sorry to hear about your crash, but at least you made it through it . It's Crazy out there ..... :swoon:

I have a brown fairing that you can have for free if you want to avoid going standard. I also have most, if not all, of the mounts.

Andyb":2v2s53qe said:
I have a brown fairing that you can have for free if you want to avoid going standard. I also have most, if not all, of the mounts.

And I have a left saddle bag cover (Wineberry), engine guards and forks. All yours for shipping cost.

I've got a fairing mount, windshield, and the chrome that goes under the windshield if you want it. My 1100 is leaving this week, so I'm not going to need it.

I'm sure I've ask this question before, but what part of TN are you in. I might be able to deliver it to you depending on where you are.

WOW! what a great group.only thing missing now is paint.I hop your abel to fix the old girl.wish i had some parts for you to.