it looks Bad ,

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sledge

Reaction score
as some of you folks know I have been building a Trike , from a 1980 GL1100 Goldwing , for the last 2 or 3 years . I got side tracked along the way somewhat , wife has been really sick , and I bought a 1983 Aspencade to ride some , while I finished the Trike . well a few days ago , I started on the Trike again , after sitting for almost 2 years , I charged the Battery , squirted a little starting fluid in the breather , and she fired right up , and Ran just as good as it always did. I rode it what I call ( around the block ) out here in the sticks where I live thats about 11 miles . all was well.... everything just like it was last time i rode it... then Today , I started it , rode it up across my yard and into my Neighbors yard , about 1/4 mile , turned it off in her driveway , and sit and talked to her a few minutes , went back to the bike turned the key on , pushed the starter button , it turned about one revolution , and locked down ! at first i thought maybe it had a Carb stuck open , and filled the piston hole full of Gas. but I pushed it a few feet in her driveway , and it started down hill , I clutched it and it will just slide the rear tires ......... soooo , my question is... do you guys think it could be the Starter Chain maybe broke , and locked the motor down ??? or something to do with the Starter ??? since it happened while I was Starting the bike ???? in my life I'm sure I have owned 40 or more Bikes , and I have NEVER owned a Japanese bike that ever had an engine to lock down before. just hard for me to believe the Eng. just Locked down like that , while Starting it. :help:

I'm an Old Retired Mechanic , couple of Auto Dealerships in the 70's .. and Diesel Mechanic till last of 1989 . this Goldwing was kinda Like ( Slam ) sounded BAD . my first thought was a Valve . but, since it was just starting , hard for me to accept it might be a Valve . I might just be Grasping at Straws here , thinking it might be the Starter Chain . but , if I can tomorrow , I'll pull the Plugs and see it any piston hole is full of Gas. Thanks for your advice Bro. :music:

If it were starter chain it'd have to break and ball up to lock the motor down but the starter should spin free in that case. I think hydraulic lock was the best guess.

well...... starter won't turn , and the Fuel was turned on , but I never turn it off , unless I am leaving it sitting overnight . sooooo... I'll check the Plugs soon as I can , Wife has Dr. appt. tomorrow, so.... maybe this weekend. thanks everyone . :laptop:

Will the engine turn in the opposite direction? 5th gear, rolling backwards... The starter chain doesn't move once the engine is running. If it breaks, it would just bunch up around the starter sprocket. The outside of the alternator rotor is smooth, nothing for the chain to catch on. Just some thoughts...

we just got back from the Dr. and Drug store tonight, i never had a chance today to check the motor...... i hope to try it tomorrow , yeah , I'll click it into 5th and try to rock it backwards , and see if the eng. turns at all...... Thanks guys. :music:

Good News .... this morning I put it in 5th, and started rocking it backwards , and i heard the motor turn a little , so.... i left it today , while we went to a Strawberry Festival , got back home about 3:00 , I turned the keys on , pushed the starter button , Nothing ! ... got a test light, everything looked ok , but nothing even clicked with the starter button , so , I shorted across the 2 main posts on the starter solenoid , and it fire soon as it moved , run just like always ... sooooo , i'm pretty sure you guys was all right , Piston Hole full of Gas , Because I never really did anything at all to the Eng. . . Thanks for the help ! you guys should all be members of a Classic Goldwing Group....... ohhhhhh WAIT...... YOU ARE ! ! ! just goofin' around here . :smilie_happy: . thank you again , just another reason this is such a great group . :laptop:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=148910#p148910:1u1gke7j said:
sledge » Sat May 16, 2015 1:05 pm[/url]":1u1gke7j]
Good News .... this morning I put it in 5th, and started rocking it backwards , and i heard the motor turn a little , so.... i left it today , while we went to a Strawberry Festival , got back home about 3:00 , I turned the keys on , pushed the starter button , Nothing ! ... got a test light, everything looked ok , but nothing even clicked with the starter button , so , I shorted across the 2 main posts on the starter solenoid , and it fire soon as it moved , run just like always ... sooooo , i'm pretty sure you guys was all right , Piston Hole full of Gas , Because I never really did anything at all to the Eng. . . Thanks for the help ! you guys should all be members of a Classic Goldwing Group....... ohhhhhh WAIT...... YOU ARE ! ! ! just goofin' around here . :smilie_happy: . thank you again , just another reason this is such a great group . :laptop:
:cool: sweet.

ohhhh yes, I had Pulled it back up my Driveway with my Jeep , and it was about 20 feet from the Garage , when it started i just pulled it inside the Garage , and turned it off, I'll change the Oil , I'm sure it needed to be changed anyway , it had been sitting for about 2 years . from now on , i'll turn the Fuel off , before i turn the Eng. off. thanks again everyone. :laptop:

Latest posts